iFaith problems - recovery loop after restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JayHD, Jul 27, 2011.

1. JayHD macrumors member

I really, really hope someone can save me here.

I got a replacement iPhone yesterday that still ran 4.3.3. I saw people were successful in saving their SHSH blobs with iFaith and using them to create "signed" CFW to ensure they could always downgrade to 4.3.3.

I grabbed iFaith and followed the instructions exactly. I had no problem installing the CFW, however as soon as iTunes pops up the "successful restore" confirmation message, the phone goes back into pwned DFU mode. I'm assuming it's DFU mode, not recovery mode, because when I go to run iFaith or iReb again, it skips the "enter DFU" steps and goes straight to running the limera1n exploit that permits CFW installation.

I've tried everything to stop the recovery/DFU loop. I used the "fix recovery" options from iReb, tinyumbrella, and FixRecovery, and I tried all 3 both before and after putting the phone in DFU mode. I tried starting the whole process over from scratch, and both the SHSH dump and the CFW creation again seemed to work, leading me to believe that the previous firmware installation was successful, to some extent. I made sure to run everything as an administrator, just in case.

I'm desperate for a solution, as I really don't want to install 4.3.5 and lose the possibility of an untethered jailbreak. I'm running Windows 7 and iTunes 10.4. I'm not getting 1601 or 3914 errors, so I'm fairly certain that the pwned DFU is doing it's part.

Here are the things I haven't tried yet:

- Using a different PC

- running one of the 3 "Fix recovery" options during the restore process

- Unplugging the phone at the exact moment the confirmation message pops up, just before the recovery starts (can't imagine this would work)

- Installing 4.3.5, then restoring to "signed CFW 4.3.3. (I'm reluctant to do this in case there's a problem with my created 4.3.3 CFW and I would permanently lose the ability to JB untethered).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Please, for my sanity, stay on topic. I was asking for help on another site, and a few forumgoers were insulting me for not saving my blobs through Cydia, which wasn't even possible, as I just got the phone and Apple is no longer signing 4.3.3.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what error are you getting?

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

4. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

It looks like the solution is on the way. IrishVixen, I can't thank you enough for taking an interest in my situation. I also love helping people out online - I like the challenge and the genuine appreciation people show in return. Online communities get a bad rep, but I've found the JB/iOS community to be filled with really kind, helpful people. And a few jerks, of course. :)

5. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Ih8sn0w posted on his twitter that he is updating ifaith.. So it wont be long.. :)

Ain't it supposed to be a pirate repo site? ;)

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Pretty sure it is, sure as heck wouldn't add the repo--but that doesn't make the info on their forum any more or less valid. (Wish I'd listened to what I read there about problems with the paid version of CleverPin, it would've saved me $3 and a heart attack when it threw my phone into emergency mode.) I googled info on this damn iFaith tool that's breaking people's phones, and this came up--and frankly the info that was posted that iH8sn0w had apparently given someone a working beta made it worth reposting.

I just hope this version isn't as buggy, for the OP's sake. JayHD, hang in there. The latest tweets sound like he's aiming for a release today. Please let us know what happens.

7. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Will do. Also, I've convinced myself that "IrishVixen" means I'm being helped by a stunningly gorgeous blue-eyed Dublin native, and not a male Notre Dame cheerleader. Please don't shatter the illusion :)

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

LOL--I can reassure you on the male cheerleader point. :D

9. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

iFaith v1.2 is out. I'm getting "Error -2 (Download Failure) when I try to dump, and when I try to use my SHSH created with 1.1, the program crashes during the "Processing Ramdisk" stage of the CFW creation process.

The developer, iH8sn0w, responded to me earlier today, so I'm confident he'll respond to a significant bug report like this.

10. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Now, v1.2 isn't available on his site. I guess it's possible the issue is with hotfile (where iFaith is hosted), but hopefully he pulled it to tweak something to fix new problems.

11. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

4 minutes ago from @iH8sn0w:

It seems I uploaded a faulty build. Going to reupload in a few.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why am I not surprised that dude is putting out unreliable tools again?

13. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Let's just say I feel pretty stupid for using iFaith right away instead of JBing 4.3.3 and leaving it that way until I knew iFaith was stable. I was terrified of losing the ability to save my blobs.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Did you end up fixing your recovery mode issue or are you still stuck?

15. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

LOL

BTW OP did it work?!?!?

It should be ih8ih8sn0w

16. JayHD, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I'm running stock 4.3.5 no problems. I saved my iFaith-created 4.3.3 blobs in case the developer fixes the issues.

iH8iH8sn0w...lol.

17. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to update this - iH8sn0w released v1.3 of iFaith.

Last night I created a "signed" 4.3.3 cfw using the SHSH blob I created with the buggy first release. I'm now back on 4.3.3 and very happy.