iPhone iFaith redsn0w can't get blobs from iP 4 8GB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Airship17, Apr 1, 2013.

  1. Airship17, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

    Airship17 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm trying to extract blobs from an iPhone 4 8GB recently bought, has 6.1.2 and is an MD128A/B. I wanted to set up a restore path to 6.1.2 before jailbreaking it so I can tether.

    I have tried 3 different Win 7 PCs (32 and 64 bit) and have been shutting the application down (edit: using task manager, otherwise it doesn't close on exit) between attempts (per advice from elsewhere), but iFaith always hangs at the iBEC stage. Also tried it with & without SIM installed, no difference.

    The phone displays a transcript which ends with "Waiting for Client.." then after a few secs the phone seems to reboot (apple on screen) and starts up normally. After a while an error message comes up from iFaith "Unexpected response received from device. Response: "(nothing shown).

    redsn0w also immediately says helpfully "error with SHSH blobs" if I go into the extracto bit.

    I have the firewall allowing incoming and outgoing for the .exe, and I have .NET 4 installed.

    After a lot of searching I can only find a few references to similar problems but no solutions beyond maybe wrong .NET version or just use a different PC. But no clue about which .NET is right.

    Please advise how to make it work.
     
  2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
  3. Airship17, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

    Airship17 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    #3
    Thanks for replying. Yes indeed, 1.5.6. Also the latest redsn0w, I believe, redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3. Neither works.

    I don't know anything about the content of iFaith, but if I had to guess I would say there is a component that is either not there or unable to run for some reason - it looks like the phone is exploited and enters a state where it's waiting for the PC to do something, but that never comes or the wrong thing happens and the phone either times out or is kicked into a reset.

    Edit: See later posts; iFaith works fine with other phone, so it's "the wrong thing happens"

    Further symptoms - when the phone stops "waiting for client" and bales, the screen blanks in an ungraceful way, different each time - sometimes a line across, sometimes just fades. But it looks like a crash or hardware kind of reset. Then the apple logo immediately appears, followed by a normal boot.

    Seems the USB comms are alright or it wouldn't get that far.

    Edit: Aha. It's the phone or the iOS version. Probably. Borrowed my son's iP 4 16GB 6.1.3. iFaith worked perfectly with that phone, saved blobs as requested. Then repeated the operation with the exact same PC and the iP 4 8GB, got the exact same result as previously : crash & reboot.

    So either it doesn't like the 8GB phone hardware or the 6.1.2 iOS. Maybe the latter less likely since many others have extracted blobs of that with random sample of PCs and there is no base of complaints about this. I noted in the mod record for iFaith there was mention of "Finally solving problems with 8GB NAND", and I also noted elsewhere "If you have an 8GB device iFaith might not even work" or similar. But no substantive reason for the issues.


    Anyone any idea what that was about?
     
  4. kakarot1925 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2013
    #4
    Exact same issue for me here also iPhone 4 8GB running iOS 6.1.2 Evasi0n Jailbreaked. I tried multiple times on 2 different PCs so yeah I guess its an issue with the iPhone 4.
     
  5. Airship17 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    #5
    There you go. So, contrary to my guess earlier it must be that the 8GB phone does not like something that iFaith does to it (and which is fine for at least the 16GB iP 4 that I tried).

    So we just need someone who knows what iFaith is actually doing at the iBEC stage to comment on why that might be, and then a fix. . .

    Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's either fix this, JB anyway or sell on Ebay and go back to Android ;o)
     
  6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #6
    It would be nice to see a downgrade path, but i don't see the the problem for the moment, just jailbreak with evasi0n and enjoy uour untethered jailbreak.

    In the past the ip4 8gb did have problems with iFaith, did you try contacting ih8sn0w to see if the problem can be fixed?

    Redsn0w was also able to get the blobs, did you try that?
     
  7. Airship17 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    #7
    I was just trying to avoid the situation where I had to restore the phone after a screwup and ended up with 6.1.3 and a tethered jailbreak.

    But yes, I might as well just hope for the best and JB it anyway.

    All I wanted to do was run a tethering app, anyway, so i suppose it is relatively low risk.

    Yes, redsn0w seems also to be struggling - it drops out with a message "Error with SHSH blobs"

    I have tried to contact iH8sn0w via twitter so we'll see.

    Thanks for replying.
     
  8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #8
    no problem.

    In redsn0w did you try saving with "NEW"
    Download the 6.1.2 IPSW connect phone and follow instuctions

    I just extracted my IP5 6.1.3 SHSH's that way
     

Share This Page