iFaith rules

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TJone, Apr 28, 2012.

1. TJone macrumors 6502a

iFaith let me restore from 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 and somehow it also kept my bb at 1.59.00. I was amazed I still have 1.59.00 and thought it would be upgraded with the new ipsw. My iPhone 4 kept having a lot of springboard crashes and now is like new again after the restore.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The only way to upgrade baseband is to restore to current, stock firmware (5.1)

3. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting - I thought it might have to keep whatever the baseband that came bundled with 5.0.1 but I guess iFaith does not include it when it builds the custom ipsw. However it works - I am thrilled that it worked so well. :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, every time you build a custom IPSW it doesnt touch the baseband and just upgrades the firmware.
    So leaves your iphone with the baseband version it had before but on the newer iOS.

5. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information. That is good to know. :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome.
    Custom firmware are great.
    Love how I can install most of my packages and cydia sources and "bake" them inside the new custom IPSW too.
    Good stuff.

7. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I have to try that next time too. This time I am not installing Spire. I think that was causing a lot of my memory leak problems. I am also surprised that Aloud and Mediaspeak still work without Spire installed but they are working well.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Well the other thing is that with the iPhone 4, the baseband firmware also uses SHSHs, but those blobs can't be stitched back in (yet). So you can't install any baseband that's not being signed by Apple.

The nice thing though is that if Apple happens to be signing an old firmware, you can downgrade the baseband to whatever that version is.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

An iPhone4 is succeptable to Limera1n, so you can use Redsn0w to stitch the hash and APTicket to an IPSW.

Did you mean to type "4S"

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Nope. The baseband uses different blobs than the rest of the firmware (apple sends both during a normal restore). The baseband used nonces from the very beginning, so we were never able to replay the blobs. We also don't have a bootrom exploit for the baseband, so it was never possible to stitch the bbticket back in.

This might change in the future since notcom updated tinyumbrella to save bbtickets.

11. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

The creator of iFaith confirmed on Twitter that all custom firmwares stitched by iFaith will not affect your baseband! :]

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I heard about those bb blobs to be incorporated in TU soon.
    Some real nice stuff are coming up soon from notcom.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You are correct, I was in a hurry and misread your reply :eek: