Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Unlike the previous 2014 model, the 2018 Mac mini has user-upgradeable RAM. The repair experts at iFixit are now selling a do-it-yourself RAM upgrade kit for the 2018 Mac mini that can save you hundreds of dollars.

mac-mini-ram-kit.jpg

The upgrade kit includes 16GB or 32GB of 2,666MHz DDR4 RAM, the same type of memory Apple uses in the 2018 Mac mini, along with all of the tools and bits needed to complete the upgrade: an iFixit opening tool, a spudger, angled tweezers, a precision bit driver, and three types of 4mm Torx precision bits.

2018 Mac mini models are equipped with 8GB of RAM by default, but they can be configured with 16GB or 32GB of RAM on Apple's online store for an extra $200 or $600 respectively. By comparison, iFixit charges $164.99 for its 16GB kit and $324.99 for its 32GB kit, reflecting savings of $35 and $275 respectively.

Three things to keep in mind:This is iFixit-branded RAM that matches Apple's specifications.
If you ever need in-warranty service on your 2018 Mac mini, and Apple detects that you opened up the computer, the Genius Bar may deny service. However, iFixit says this is illegal in the United States under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
There is a risk of damaging the Mac mini if the upgrade is not completed carefully.Those interested in proceeding can follow iFixit's 2018 Mac mini RAM replacement guide.

iFixit also sells the 16GB RAM modules individually for $159.99 each.

Article Link: iFixit Begins Selling 2018 Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Kit, Save Up to $275 Versus Apple

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Unlike the previous 2014 model, the 2018 Mac mini has user-upgradeable RAM. The repair experts at iFixit are now selling a do-it-yourself RAM upgrade kit for the 2018 Mac mini that can save you hundreds of dollars.

User Replaceable?
I do not consider the RAM user replaceable, as you have to almost completely disassemble your Mac.
What I consider user replaceable RAM is where you can easily upgrade it without voiding the warranty, or otherwise risking your Mac (Like the 2012 Mac Mini and the 2017 iMac)

Awesom-0

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2017
I can’t see risking the warranty (not to mention the time cost) for the $35 savings on the 16 GB upgrade. The 32 is more compelling.

Why are you worried you will mess up something that is designed to be replaced or upgraded?

I looked over the guide and it does have a few steps but I could have a 5 year old do it with my help.

Also anything with a fan you will want to know how to clean it or the filters. Or complain when a company makes that difficult.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I can’t see risking the warranty (not to mention the time cost) for the $35 savings on the 16 GB upgrade. The 32 is more compelling.

AFAIK it can be replaced here in Europe without losing your warranty, think it's not different in the US, someone told me last time.

Au contraire! $35 will buy six bottles of really....

cheap_red_wine.jpg

Replace the memory before you drink the savings. /s

You call that cheap wine, you can get a dozen here.:D
Better buy and install the RAM first, then go out and buy the dozen....;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wouldn't this be illegal under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act?

Yes it would. Macrumors is almost certainly misinformed (and subsequently misinforming).

The general rule is if Apple detects a problem CAUSED by the RAM replacement they could deny a warranty claim. But if a processor fan failed, they certainly couldn’t deny the warranty claim because RAM was replaced.

Last edited:

brettsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
The 16GB kit only comes with one stick, so if you leave one of the original 4GB sticks installed, you actually ed up with 20GB of RAM.

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
If you ever need in-warranty service on your 2018 Mac mini, and Apple detects that you opened up the computer, the Genius Bar is permitted to and likely will deny service. Apple's warranty forbids do-it-yourself repairs.
This warranty service is very, very illegal. Both nationally because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and in many states because of Right to Repair legislation.

Last edited:
Reactions: compuguy1088

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
User Replaceable?
I do not consider the RAM user replaceable, as you have to almost completely disassemble your Mac.
What I consider user replaceable RAM is where you can easily upgrade it without voiding the warranty, or otherwise risking your Mac (Like the 2012 Mac Mini and the 2017 iMac)

No big deal. Looks simple by looking at the videos. I upgraded the RAM and SSD on my 2012 MacBook Pro within 15 minutes and this doesn't look any harder. And I am not tech savvy and have never carved a peace of wood or opened the hood of my car for more then checking the oil. :) Anybody can do this.

Reactions: compuguy1088

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

That's another $70 off, good find, on the other hand, it will become cheaper and cheaper the longer you wait.

well...don't wait too long, there will be a time it will get more expensive, like a decade from now if you need a stick for your 10 year old mac in 2028.

Sep 8, 2016
User Replaceable?
When there are only like 6 screws total in the entire Mac mini, there isn't much difference between "opening the cover" and "completely disassembling", now is there???

Reactions: opeter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.