iFixit Begins Selling 2018 Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Kit, Save Up to $275 Versus Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Unlike the previous 2014 model, the 2018 Mac mini has user-upgradeable RAM. The repair experts at iFixit are now selling a do-it-yourself RAM upgrade kit for the 2018 Mac mini that can save you hundreds of dollars.

[​IMG]

The upgrade kit includes 16GB or 32GB of 2,666MHz DDR4 RAM, the same type of memory Apple uses in the 2018 Mac mini, along with all of the tools and bits needed to complete the upgrade: an iFixit opening tool, a spudger, angled tweezers, a precision bit driver, and three types of 4mm Torx precision bits.

2018 Mac mini models are equipped with 8GB of RAM by default, but they can be configured with 16GB or 32GB of RAM on Apple's online store for an extra $200 or $600 respectively. By comparison, iFixit charges $164.99 for its 16GB kit and $324.99 for its 32GB kit, reflecting savings of $35 and $275 respectively.

Three things to keep in mind:This is iFixit-branded RAM that matches Apple's specifications.
    If you ever need in-warranty service on your 2018 Mac mini, and Apple detects that you opened up the computer, the Genius Bar may deny service. However, iFixit says this is illegal in the United States under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
    There is a risk of damaging the Mac mini if the upgrade is not completed carefully.Those interested in proceeding can follow iFixit's 2018 Mac mini RAM replacement guide.

iFixit also sells the 16GB RAM modules individually for $159.99 each.

Article Link: iFixit Begins Selling 2018 Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Kit, Save Up to $275 Versus Apple

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I can’t see risking the warranty (not to mention the time cost) for the $35 savings on the 16 GB upgrade. The 32 is more compelling.

3. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

Don't do the upgrade yourself for the 16GB upgrade. Just buy it from Apple. The 32GB upgrade, however, is a great price and DIY RAM upgrades aren't really that difficult.

4. TrulsZK macrumors member

User Replaceable?
    I do not consider the RAM user replaceable, as you have to almost completely disassemble your Mac.
    What I consider user replaceable RAM is where you can easily upgrade it without voiding the warranty, or otherwise risking your Mac (Like the 2012 Mac Mini and the 2017 iMac)

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

The whole process didn't take 15 minutes. Yes, it is user upgradable.

But yeah, I leave in part of Europe, where most people are used for DIY things...

6. Edsel macrumors 6502

Au contraire! $35 will buy six bottles of really....

[​IMG]

Replace the memory before you drink the savings. /s

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Wouldn't this be illegal under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act?

8. Awesom-0 macrumors member

Awesom-0

Why are you worried you will mess up something that is designed to be replaced or upgraded?

I looked over the guide and it does have a few steps but I could have a 5 year old do it with my help.

Also anything with a fan you will want to know how to clean it or the filters. Or complain when a company makes that difficult.

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

AFAIK it can be replaced here in Europe without losing your warranty, think it's not different in the US, someone told me last time.

You call that cheap wine, you can get a dozen here.:D
    Better buy and install the RAM first, then go out and buy the dozen....;)

10. WilliamG, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

WilliamG macrumors G3

Yes it would. Macrumors is almost certainly misinformed (and subsequently misinforming).

The general rule is if Apple detects a problem CAUSED by the RAM replacement they could deny a warranty claim. But if a processor fan failed, they certainly couldn’t deny the warranty claim because RAM was replaced.

11. SnarkyBear macrumors regular

SnarkyBear

This, exactly! In the U.S., Apple cannot legally refuse to fix a warranted part of the mini just because you use non-Apple memory.

Good luck fighting them on this, though.

12. brettsen macrumors newbie

The 16GB kit only comes with one stick, so if you leave one of the original 4GB sticks installed, you actually ed up with 20GB of RAM.

13. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

"they can be configured with 16GB or 32GB of RAM"...

and 64GB. When they have a 64GB upgrade, that may be worth it. :)

14. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Ok, I'll bite: what's a "professor fan"?

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The real dig is that this isn’t the pure upgrade cost. You get to keep both modules.

16. mikethemartian macrumors regular

processor?

17. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

When the fan gets "tenure" it becomes a Professor fan...

18. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

iTuned....

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

It's a great typo that one occasionally does not notice when typing on a phone. :D

20. BaccaBossMC, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

This warranty service is very, very illegal. Both nationally because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and in many states because of Right to Repair legislation.

21. Wags macrumors 6502a

Best to have matching pairs or is that old school.

22. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

No big deal. Looks simple by looking at the videos. I upgraded the RAM and SSD on my 2012 MacBook Pro within 15 minutes and this doesn't look any harder. And I am not tech savvy and have never carved a peace of wood or opened the hood of my car for more then checking the oil. :) Anybody can do this.

23. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

That's another $70 off, good find, on the other hand, it will become cheaper and cheaper the longer you wait.

well...don't wait too long, there will be a time it will get more expensive, like a decade from now if you need a stick for your 10 year old mac in 2028.

24. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 68000

When there are only like 6 screws total in the entire Mac mini, there isn't much difference between "opening the cover" and "completely disassembling", now is there???