iFixit confirms better Keyboard for 2017 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hululu, Jun 9, 2017.

1. hululu macrumors member

hululu

2. wiffle macrumors regular

I think you're reading this wrong. They're describing keyboard changes to the 12" MacBook.

3. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

thats the second paragraph, i'm talking about the first one.

They re mentioning some kind of reinforcement

4. wiffle macrumors regular

Makes sense in my mind that they're referencing that paragraph to changes in the Macbook and not the Macbook Pro - but I could be wrong and would be happy to stand corrected.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Wow so Apple knew they had a pending reliability issue and took drastic steps kept them secret from customers, and significantly reworked the keyboard. Man the 2016 Touchbar MacBook Pro is ending up to be and ever bigger disaster than I tried to warn people about.

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Not exactly lol. The article clearly references the changes as being to the MacBook, updating it to the v2 MBP keyboard from last year. I understand reading comprehension is not everybodies strong suit though.

7. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

They mention the keyboard in general (1st paragraph), i just think they added something to it. And obviously that keyboard is used in both the MB and MBP 2017.

I personally had a 2016 mbp, and played with the 2017 ones in store. It does feel different, in a good way.

8. whodean macrumors member

whodean

They tested a MacBook and a 13" MBP, their wording is funny but they are telling you that the keyboard is different on both of those. I have a 2017 15", the keyboard is different from the 2016 MBP keyboard.

9. MrGuder macrumors 68020

The paragraph is creating a lot of controversy from ifix it. I wish we could get clarification. I'll be able to tell once I get mine next week.

10. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

saw you had a 2016 mbp, then your answer made a lot of sense ;) #indenial

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I'm more than happy to admit the new ones have an updated keyboard, if there is proof. Just want the facts, not lies. So far we've got ambiguous phrasing from ifixit at best. It would be nice if they actually did a keyboard teardown on the MBP's like they did for the MB. Even pics of the 2016 MBP keyboard would tell us something by being able to compare it to the 2017 MB keyboard ifixit showed.

12. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

True. As I mentioned in another post, they just wrote the blog badly and were talking about the changes between gen 1 and 2. I don't know if Apple changed anything, but compare what they said in the actual MB teardown, as well as photos they put (basically, they said the same thing - that the fancy X dome is gone (gen 1), replaced by the new, more traditional looking dome (gen 2) - which looks the same like the one in their nTB MBP review).

13. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

i just have a hard time believing Apple would simply update their MacBook pro to kaby lake and thats it

14. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

If the keyboard is different enough to make me like it enough, then I might consider ponying up the cost to sell my 2016 and get a 2017 instead. Keyboard is a keyboard - it is like water. We need it and use it every single time we use the laptop. An improvement there may warrant an upgrade immediately. Processor improvement from Sky to Kaby isn't at all much to warrant an upgrade at all. Not the slightest.

15. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Sigh, no, no one is denying anything. It's just that all these Macrumors forum myths are starting to get boring. "They used the last gen CPU" thing, then "the keyboard has a desing flaw and Apple knows it" thing, etc.

Until someone offers some evidence, I just can't take anyone's word here seriously. I read a few "it feels better" posts without explaining what is actually better, or even different. I also read a few reviews and no one even noticed anything about the keyboard, while one said it seems exactly the same.

So there you go. Denial or not - people like to form these narratives around here, so - if anyone has anything more than "I tried them and they feel better" - please do share, because I would like to know.

Also: the only people who claim it's better are those that either bought new ones or returned old ones #justifyingpurchase (see, it can go both ways.... now how about some facts)

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Why? That's generally what happens. Not sure how long you've been following Apple, but major redesigns don't happen every release.

17. whodean macrumors member

whodean

I don't think anybody who bought a new machine this week is going to tear out the keyboard for you, so short of people telling you their experience all you can do is go try one out at an Apple Store for yourself.

18. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Please....
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    Sure, when resellers here get them (no Apple stores here). But at least people could try to elaborate a bit more - like "it feels softer" or "it clicks louder" or whatever.

19. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Congressman Baxter, we are so sorry for not hearing you when you were warning us. Now, the floods are onto us.

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

It's like people expect you to just take them at their word, without evidence. Because nobody has ever lied on the internet before.

21. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

Why? simply because people report issues with the keyboard, i went through 3 brand new units, 3 faulty keyboards.

22. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

An internal keyboard switch change isn't what I meant by major redesign. Whether Apple changed it or not will tell you whether they felt there was an issue though.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    Actually this pretty much settles it. Same switch between 2016 and 2017 MBP's.

2016 nTB keyboard:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Function+Keys+Late+2016+Teardown/72415

2017 MBP keyboard:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+MacBook+2017+Teardown/92172

23. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

i'm just talking about the keyboard here, and how it's possible that they quietly tweaked it.

They usually dont say anything until years later, then you get a recall. Like they did on GPU on the older MacBook pro

24. upandown macrumors regular

Yes this shows the 2017 MB got a new design but nothing stating if the 2017 MBP got an update. Anecdotal but it seems Apple had A LOT of returns due the to keyboard. I would guess that even Apple would work quickly to fix the issue. I've seen a number of posters starting the 2017 MBP keyboards feel better than the 2016 MBP. No definite noise conclusion.

25. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I sincerely doubt Apple gave the MBP a v3 and didn't give it to the MB. They'd have the same issue with MB customers not liking v2 then.