Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It doesn't "have" nfc. It has the chip but you can't take your Ipad and swipe on a terminal like you can with most android phones or iPhone 6 or 6 plus

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Yes. I believe it is there for the secure element where you can store your credit card info and use apple pay on your Ipad to pay for apps or whatever it is for

So we would have to see it in a tear-down of the mini 3 to confirm that.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
if they added apple pay onto the mini 3 then it should basically have the same components minus the extra gb of ram and the a7 chip vs the a8x

mini3.jpg

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
If they added apple pay onto the mini 3 then it should basically have the same components minus the extra gb of ram and the A7 chip vs the A8x

Any iOS device with touch ID can be used to purchase things.

IPhone have NFC, iPad don't have NFC, but you can still scan your finger and pay for things on your device.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
How ? Doesn't have the antennas for it . If they decide to add nfc it will be in the next refresh the iPad 7th generation or iPad mini 4th generation.

Maybe something like this? I am just speculating.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20...a=X&ei=OA9JVI2xNIi2yASn24CoAg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA

"To accommodate near field communications within the potentially tight confines of device housing 12, antenna structures 40 may be shared between non-near-field communications circuitry 44 and near field communications circuitry 42. When, for example, it is desired to transmit and receive cellular telephone signals or other non-near-field communications, antenna structures 40 may be used by transceiver circuitry 38. When it is desired to transmit and receive near field communications signals, antenna structures 40 may be used to near field communications circuitry 42."

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Maybe something like this? I am just speculating.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20...a=X&ei=OA9JVI2xNIi2yASn24CoAg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA

"To accommodate near field communications within the potentially tight confines of device housing 12, antenna structures 40 may be shared between non-near-field communications circuitry 44 and near field communications circuitry 42. When, for example, it is desired to transmit and receive cellular telephone signals or other non-near-field communications, antenna structures 40 may be used by transceiver circuitry 38. When it is desired to transmit and receive near field communications signals, antenna structures 40 may be used to near field communications circuitry 42."

It still doesn't have an antenna for it ....going to have to wait for iPad Air 3 ...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Yes. I believe it is there for the secure element where you can store your credit card info and use apple pay on your Ipad to pay for apps or whatever it is for

Yes, the secure element is required for Apple Pay (even in-app purchases).

Like many here, I believe there is a big opportunity for Apple to expand the capability of Apple Pay in the future, but the necessary hardware will need to be there. It is curious to me that the Air 2 does not include the radio. My guess is cost/margins.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Any iOS device with touch ID can be used to purchase things.

IPhone have NFC, iPad don't have NFC, but you can still scan your finger and pay for things on your device.

My 5s can't be used for Apple Pay on device. That's because it doesn't have that chip.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
What are the uses of NFC beside payment tool at POS?

Let me give you an example of alternative usage of NFC in other device. Nintendo Wii U has NFC reader in its gamepad to read in data from figurine which can be used in its game.

What about iPad?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
What are the uses of NFC beside payment tool at POS?

Let me give you an example of alternative usage of NFC in other device. Nintendo Wii U has NFC reader in its gamepad to read in data from figurine which can be used in its game.

What about iPad?

With android you can share stuff...at least with Samsung devices . Remember those ads for the s3 or s4 where they bump their phones ? You bump them and can share photos or etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.