Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noriyori

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
I just hope that was company and not personal money. but whatever. It's great that they are showing us what's actually in the thing. I hope they were able to put it back together.

mikelikespie

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
Put it all into perspective people. There are people starving in this world and $600 could have done a lot for them. But instead, we see this sort of this happen on the internet. Perhaps they can put it back together in working order...that is fine. But guys at over at thinksecret totally dismantled the thing. What a waste! Do people stop to think of all the time and effort and sweating building these things? I'm talking about the people (low paying Chinese), the factories, and plants polluting our air/water just to make parts for it (battery, silicon, metals and plastic ie.). Just because you have the $600 to pay for it, is it really necessary to take it apart or destroy it? What's next, smashmyipone? Some people need to wake up and understand this is a total waste and should stop consuming recklessly and need to see the bigger picture and take responsibility and respect everything around us. Thank you.

I think it's just as wasteful to buy one as it is to take it apart. (not saying either one is wasteful. I mean does somebody really need a 600 dollar phone? What if they got them for their 8 year old kids? It's not going to make them live or make the world a better place whether they use it or destroy it. Sure it may be wasting money, but it's going towards the economy. Also, ifixit seems to be doing a decent job, not just like destroying it for the heck of it.

I think it's pretty interesting to see what's inside of it. To see what companies were in on it all along and such. It's certainly more interesting than, "Look at me, I can afford an iPhone and activated it in 5 minutes, and look at all the eye candy"

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
I am an old At&T wiresless customer before Cingular bought them out (and are now again At&T). Att is telling me that I have to upgrade my plan to get the iphone saying it wont work with it. I can't do that because I have a north america plan that makes Canada local for me (where I am currently living and live between the states and canada). So I have to find a way to keep my plan and get an iPhone. Help?

Donate to http://www.unlocktheiphone.com

inorog

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Whoa!

and I mean... Whoa! look at all that PCB pr0n!

<bender> Ooh! Baby! </bender>

Ino!~

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Take a chill pill.

To be human, is to be curious.

As some one said earlier, if these things hadn't been done then Powerbooks etc couldn't have been upgraded in ways by third party - i.e., larger hard discs etc.

Put it all into perspective people. There are people starving in this world and $600 could have done a lot for them. But instead, we see this sort of this happen on the internet. Perhaps they can put it back together in working order...that is fine. But guys at over at thinksecret totally dismantled the thing. What a waste! Do people stop to think of all the time and effort and sweating building these things? I'm talking about the people (low paying Chinese), the factories, and plants polluting our air/water just to make parts for it (battery, silicon, metals and plastic ie.). Just because you have the $600 to pay for it, is it really necessary to take it apart or destroy it? What's next, smashmyipone? Some people need to wake up and understand this is a total waste and should stop consuming recklessly and need to see the bigger picture and take responsibility and respect everything around us. Thank you.

Ljot

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
Orange snake cable?

The cable from the screen(?) to the logic board ha a nice S-shape. Do anybody have any idea of why? (Pic 1969-12-31 19:00:00)

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006

1. The model Thinksecret used was the 4GB model, thus only wating $500 (plus monthly charges...)

2. I totally agree it is a total waste. So is having a sports car, a Plasma-TV or high speed internet.

3. I play guitar and it always makes me angry watching people smash their beautiful handcrafted guitar on stage. It's not because it was expensive, but because people really put some hard work and love into it. I doubt the iPhone has more than 10 seconds of human contact before it's boxed, so it's not that bad. Johny Ive might cry a little tho..

4. They don't actually waste the money, those pictures attract a lot of people to their website, giving them lots of advertisement resulting in lots of income. You have to see it as an investment. Imagine a high roller sending out people to buy him 100 iPhones so he can put them all in a bonfire and make poor people watch saying "each of those cost $600", now that's evil.

5. Will it blend? :p

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
In speaking of curiosity, did anyone see PC World's stress test? http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133636-pg,1/article.html

Things like:

"We were very impressed that even this deliberate attempt to scratch the screen completely failed."
and
"The iPhone not only continue to work after each drop test, impressively it still looked good as well."

sound great indeed. They should have added a disclaimer ("Don't try this with your current phone") ;)

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
anybody figure out the processor(s) yet? I saw on pic that had "ARM" on the CPU. This thing is so fluid in the transitions and animations and switching between programs.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
anybody figure out the processor(s) yet? I saw on pic that had "ARM" on the CPU. This thing is so fluid in the transitions and animations and switching between programs.

It appears to be a Samsung SOC incorporating an ARM11.

The packaging also incorporates 128MB of RAM.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SOC incorporates a mobile graphics unit licensed from Imagination (and ARM also have their own graphics cores). That would explain the smooth interface despite the relatively low power CPU (compared to even a 5 year old desktop). It most certainly does incorporate dedicated decoding logic for H264 and more.

This chip is going to appear in the next iPod I would guess, just without the phone components, but with a 1.8" Hard Drive in their place. As that will be lower power than the phone chipset the iPod could last a bit longer than the iPhone, although they might need to cut down the battery size to fit the hard drive in.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Ha! So it IS a MARVELL chip inside.

I gave a heads up on this info a few weeks ago to macrumors but they didn't publish :p

(I need to get a life lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.