Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit today launched six new battery repair kits for Apple's MacBook Pro with a Retina display, allowing users to replace the battery in an older-model MacBook Pro, restoring it to hold a full-day charge and extending its life for 2-3 years, according to iFixit. Each kit "offers all the tools needed" for users to perform the repair at home with a step-by-step guide taking them through the entire process.

The six kits cover battery replacements for the following Retina MacBook Pro models: 13-inch MacBook Pro (late 2012/early 2013), 15-inch MacBook Pro (mid 2012, early 2013), 13-inch MacBook Pro (late 2013/mid 2014), 15-inch MacBook Pro (late 2013/mid 2014), 13-inch MacBook Pro (early 2015), and 15-inch MacBook Pro (mid 2015).

Tools and contents of each kit include: a replacement battery, installation adhesive, kit bit driver, iFixit 4mm screwdriver bit torx T5, iFixit 4mm screwdriver bit torx security TR6, iFixit 4mm screwdriver bit pentalobe P5, tweezers, iFixit Opening Tool, iFixit Card (2), safety glasses, opening pick, adhesive remover dispensing syringe, adhesive remover solution, cleaning wipes, and gloves.
If you're experiencing bad battery life, we've got everything you need to replace it! These batteries are well adhered to the upper case of the computer so removing them isn't as straightforward as we'd like it to be. Fear not! Our kit offers all the tools needed to perform the repair and our guide shows you how to use the kit. The battery is an original OEM battery.
The fix kits range in price from $89.95 to $119.95, and include battery replacements measuring between 6010 mAh and 8230 mAh. Out-of-warranty Retina MacBook Pro battery replacements directly from Apple cost $199, so users who take advantage of iFixit's new battery replacement kits have the chance to save some money.

Article Link: iFixit Debuts New Fix Kits for At-Home Retina MacBook Pro Battery Replacement

Last edited:

Macmarauder

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
This repair is a lot tougher than it may appear at first glance. When doing a battery replacement through an Apple Authorized Service Provider a whole new top case is provided with the battery already adhered.

Also I hope iFixit has you completely discharge the battery. The last thing you would want is to puncture a cell and have poisonous gas explode in your face.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy

jawa12083

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Think I'd just pay Apple to do it for about the same price. They never charge the full $199 in my experience.

How so? Do they provide you discounted repair costs?

Also, I have to ask - is there any way we can know how good iFixit's battery cells are compared to Apple's?

Reactions: Ener Ji

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This repair is a lot tougher than it may appear at first glance. When doing a battery replacement through an Apple Authorized Service Provider a whole new top case is provided with the battery already adhered.

Also I hope iFixit has you completely discharge the battery. The last thing you would want is to puncture a cell and have poisonous gas explode in your face.
Play embedded video.:)

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Most who purchase this will likely wish they would have spent the extra couple dollars and had Apple do it for them. There's lots of opportunity for error and frustration with this repair.

Reactions: Macmarauder

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would just pay Apple to do it. $100 extra is worth the genuine battery and not having to pry your laptop apart.

Reactions: Macmarauder

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
My sister called yesterday that my niece's iPad's screen is like 25% white. The rest of the screen is fine, but part only shows white. Apple's support page says they charge $300 to replace an iPad mini 4 screen, and a new one, with twice the storage she has, is $400. I checked iFixit's site on replacing a mini 4 screen and no thank you. I'm quite certain that wouldn't end well for me.

I maybe wouldn't mind trying to do it, but the screen is like $160. I don't feel like spending that much money, only to fail and completely kill the iPad and replacement screen.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
My sister called yesterday that my niece's iPad's screen is like 25% white. The rest of the screen is fine, but part only shows white. Apple's support page says they charge $300 to replace an iPad mini 4 screen, and a new one, with twice the storage she has, is $400. I checked iFixit's site on replacing a mini 4 screen and no thank you. I'm quite certain that wouldn't end well for me.

I maybe wouldn't mind trying to do it, but the screen is like $160. I don't feel like spending that much money, only to fail and completely kill the iPad and replacement screen.

iPads are sealed units, we don't perform display repairs. It's a whole unit exchange, hence the price. That said, upgrading can be a better long-term investment a lot of the time.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

If you're ok with the 9.7" iPad, they've been going for $300.

Reactions: darrylsvochak

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
I think most people who would purchase this would do so because they're looking for a challenge or a project, not necessarily to save money.

Totally. "It is not the destination; but the journey."

Also, the early McBook Pro Retinas on that list (mid 2012) will become EOL and unsupported by Apple's Geniuses (when reaching their five-year lifecycle).

Whereas with these kits, FixIt will extend their useful life for another two to three years for little money.

Last edited:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I look at it as it's $80 to go have a coffee and chill out and know it will be done with a warranty and recycled properly rather than me doing it myself and then having some recycle center accept it (assuming they do).

icehockey77

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
And when all of these clowns end up rupturing the battery doing a repair that apple has about 400 warnings about never attempting, Apple will certainly be named in the multimillion dollar class action, right?

shiekh

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Totally. "It is not the destination; but the journey."

I agree, except when the journey need not have been made in the first place had Apple designed parts that are replaceable. I was a Mac fan since 1984, but all the gluing me out finally drove me to Windows 10.

How can Apple be about environmental responsibility https://www.apple.com/environment/ and then make disposable machines.

Then again luddites like myself might still have us driving steam powered cars...

Last edited:

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I'm not super handy, but the iFixit video makes it seem as if this would be within my ability to replace the battery. My Mid-2012 is about to move into "vintage" status, but is still a reasonably capable machine. I could see myself tackling this project one day, when my battery life goes and the laptop is otherwise still functioning well. (NB: The battery has already been replaced once, by Apple.)

I'm just hoping my laptop lasts another year, which hopefully will give Apple (and Intel) a chance to release a MBP 15" with 24/32GB of RAM and better battery life. Six cores / twelve threads in the same form factor would also be nice for a little extra future proofing.

Ynot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
I'm just hoping my laptop lasts another year, which hopefully will give Apple (and Intel) a chance to release a MBP 15" with 24/32GB of RAM and better battery life. Six cores / twelve threads in the same form factor would also be nice for a little extra future proofing.[/QUOTE]

Thats the Weber Grill version. With that much Power you turn it on its Back and grill you Steak and Veggies when you render your 4K videos.:)

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I'm just hoping my laptop lasts another year, which hopefully will give Apple (and Intel) a chance to release a MBP 15" with 24/32GB of RAM and better battery life. Six cores / twelve threads in the same form factor would also be nice for a little extra future proofing.

Thats the Weber Grill version. With that much Power you turn it on its Back and grill you Steak and Veggies when you render your 4K videos.:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it might get a little hot! Intel is supposed to be doing a slow-launch of smaller, cooler-running 10nm chips towards the end of the year (or perhaps early 2018). That would be the one to wait for, ideally, but the current rumor is that 10nm chips will be limited to ultraportables for quite a while.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait for the types of processors used in the MBP 15" to move to 10nm as it might not happen until 2019.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Looks easy enough. Probably not as bad as when I replaced my Surface Pro 3's cracked screen. I think I'm still vacuuming shards of glass out of my carpet. This is definitely doable, personally I wouldn't pay more for someone to do this for me.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Think I'd just pay Apple to do it for about the same price. They never charge the full $199 in my experience.
They tried to charge me an arm and a leg to get my rMBP battery replaced. Going from an initial board swap at $700 to something like $300 AUD when I disagreed that you need to swap a board to change the battery.

One thing I do see is that older non glued in batteries are cheaper than the current crop of batteries.
I really dislike how Apples design choices are driving up repair costs.
Can't innovate my ass - well they certainly don't know how to make repairable machines any more.
[doublepost=1499410653][/doublepost]
Personally, I would buy a Pentalobe screwdriver from a well established tool manufacturer like Wiha over ifixit.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-26764-pl4-ipr4-ts4-precision-pentalobe-screwdriver/
I would and did buy a cheap screwdriver from ebay.
It worked and still works fine for the occasional need to open the case on my MBP.
I'd buy good tools for the ones i use often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.