Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
New Zealand time is UTC+8. Here in Los Angeles, CA, that's 19 hours ahead.

So are the good folks at iFixIt going to be doing iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ (6 Plus) tear downs in New Zealand this time around? Have they in the past? I hope they do because I'm a bit torn between the 6 and 6+ at the moment. I'd really like to see how much RAM each model comes with before buying one or the other.

TL;DR: Anyone know if iFixIt will be doing new iPhone teardowns from New Zealand this year?

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
New Zealand time is UTC+8. Here in Los Angeles, CA, that's 19 hours ahead.

So are the good folks at iFixIt going to be doing iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ (6 Plus) tear downs in New Zealand this time around? Have they in the past? I hope they do because I'm a bit torn between the 6 and 6+ at the moment. I'd really like to see how much RAM each model comes with before buying one or the other.

TL;DR: Anyone know if iFixIt will be doing new iPhone teardowns from New Zealand this year?

Next Friday most likely.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
No need. 1GB . Both.

Aka: Plenty

Unless you need 8 Safari tabs while running Bioshock in call. Let me guess, that's "normal" for a "power user" lmao?

No reviews note any RAM related issues. Only problem of note are flaws on the plus due to the downscaling screen. Glad I got the 6!

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Unless you need 8 Safari tabs while running Bioshock in call. Let me guess, that's "normal" for a "power user" lmao?

keep telling yourself that - I don't play games and Safari refreshes all the time. But I bet the situation will be much better in a phone that drives three times as many pixels!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
keep telling yourself that - I don't play games and Safari refreshes all the time. But I bet the situation will be much better in a phone that drives three times as many pixels!

Tell me how to do it. I want to recreate the problem just using Safari normally.

Let me guess, it's "intermittent", and only with 8 tabs open at once... but you "swear" it happens to you right?

And that pixel statement proves you don't understand what's causing the problem you aren't having anyway.

Thanks for playing though.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Tell me how to do it. I want to recreate the problem just using Safari normally.

Let me guess, it's "intermittent", and only with 8 tabs open at once... but you "swear" it happens to you right?

And that pixel statement proves you don't understand what's causing the problem you aren't having anyway.

Thanks for playing though.

I'm going to take a guess here and say I understand it just as well as you if not better.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
No need. 1GB . Both.

No reviews note any RAM related issues. Only problem of note are flaws on the plus due to the downscaling screen. Glad I got the 6!

The 6 will have the same "blown up" issue. It just won't be as noticable because the screen is smaller obviously.

:apple:

odds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
No need. 1GB . Both.

Hey link me to reviews or articles that mention flaws of the 6+'s downsampling. I'm going to attempt to be in an Apple Store on afternoon of launch day to try both models anyways though.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Hey link me to reviews or articles that mention flaws of the 6+'s downsampling. I'm going to attempt to be in an Apple Store on afternoon of launch day to try both models anyways though.

daringfireball.net was the first major review to point it out. There are more that have noticed it since, but I'll have to dig up the links.

Hopefully no one is trying to say it doesn't happen. It's a drawback to downscaling. Even with "desktop class" scalers, it's something that rears it's ugly head from time to time, and I'm shocked that the OCD crowd with all of their "my screen is too yellow" isn't up in arms about the flaw.

Is it a huge deal? Nope. But it's a definitive advantage the 6 holds over the Plus. And keep in mind, most revieweres aren't going to be as critical of the animations as the typical RAM whiner will be either. It's kinda scary really.

----------

I'm going to take a guess here and say I understand it just as well as you if not better.

As I expected. I'll just take a guess and say the problem cannot be replicated on a consistent basis. You know what they call that in the tech support world? A user malfunction.

Let me know if you can ever create a "normal" scenario when RAM faults occur though. I'd love to be proven wrong. There's gotta be a first time, right? :p

hachyderm

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Gruber's comments on downsampling:

This on-the-fly downsampling sounds crazy — it sounds like something that might be slow, and that might lead to fuzziness on screen with small text or fine lines. In practice, it just works. Text and fine lines appear sharper on the 6 Plus than on the regular 6 (or any other iPhone with a 326 PPI display, like the 5’s). 401 pixels per inch is high enough that things still look great even if they’re not pixel-perfect. I was deeply skeptical of this on-the-fly downsampling when I heard about it, but having used it for a week, I’m sold.

— and having used the iPhone 6 Plus for a week, I can’t complain about a single aspect of this downsampling design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.