iFixit Reduces Price of All DIY iPhone Battery Replacement Kits to $29 or Less

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2017.

1. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

I'd venture to say the batteries are even less than $10/each.

As for Apple's previous $79 charge to replace a battery, if people pay that, then that's a fair price. Even if the battery was $4, the tech's time is $10 ($20/hour, 30-minute job), factor in training costs, store overhead, etc, the total cost to Apple for a battery replacement is still way, way, way below $79. Hell, Apple may still make a small profit at this $29 rate they're going to charge. Or maybe it's a break-even cost or a small loss (a really, really small loss).

People commenting about "price gouging" and similar would be best to not operate a business of selling goods. You don't buy an item for $5 and sell it for $6 or $7. Well, you can, but you a) better sell millions of those items or b) you won't be in business long.

2. satchmo macrumors 68000

Meanwhile you can order pretty much the same kit for under $9 on eBay.

3. Arran, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Apple's doing it as a gesture of goodwill and to preserve their brand. Damage control. To them it's another cost of doing business. They have deep pockets - so no biggie. 6, 6s and 7 owners will be happy at getting a great deal and Apple's brand will be reinforced with them. The price-competition may even drive iFixit out of business? Little downside for Apple, really.

iFixit's matching Apple's price only because they'd have no customers otherwise. I suspect their pockets are less deep and this could really hurt them. That wouldn't be good for competition.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    If only.

I've ordered some of those bargain batteries before and they wound-up being worse than the original (old) 4 and 4s batteries I was replacing.

For two of my old "spare" phones that I keep around for emergencies, I actually put the old batteries back in and discarded the "new" ones. They were trash.

4. britboyj macrumors 6502a

So, pay $29 to mess it up yourself, or pay $29 to have Apple guarantee it?

5. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

I've bought "new", OEM batteries (for Android phones) off of eBay and Amazon sellers and in the majority of cases, believe that they were in fact 'used'. They were taking OEM batteries out of phones and either cleaning them up as much as possible or even wrapping them in 'fake' stickers/covers. I won't buy them anymore. They were barely any better than the almost-dead battery I was replacing and in a case or two, no better at all or even worse.

6. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Batts are backed with adhesive tape. PIA to swap.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Ifixit just raised the price for iPhone6 battery kit from 20 to 25 in EU. I ordered for 20 last week.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

That will be my signature line from now on.

8. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

It's called profit. It's what drives business and what motivates entrepreneurs to create and innovate. It's how people make money and how individuals and families are supported. It's actually NOT a bad thing! I'll never understand how making money came to be so scorned in our world.

It's also a matter of market forces. Before, they priced to stay competitive with Apple. Now that requires them to lower their prices. They probably already have thousands and thousands manufactured, so it would actually be BAD business to simply let them sit idly due to low demand. We don't even know that they might not be losing a little $$$ on each sale, but chose to do so rather than losing a HUGE sum due to a lack of sales.

9. tennisproha macrumors 65816

What did they lower prices on? The price of their older kits is the same!

10. Pman17 macrumors regular

Pman17

Rather have Apple do it anyways in case I were to mess up the water seals on the 7 and up.

11. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Apple is secretly trying to kill off all battery replacement suppliers so that they will only replace batteries for phones under warranty or AppleCare. Clever.

12. kstotlani macrumors 6502

I do this too. E.g. I was at a Nike store and wanted to buy the latest launched shoes. I told the manager that I would definitely buy this if I got some discount. Got 20% off. Sometimes you have to just ask. I know it can be awkward but the worst they can do is judge you and say no.

13. Will do good macrumors 6502a

Will do good

Damn, I just order a kit 2 days ago and shipping was $11.

14. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

But will Apple even replace your battery since it'll more than likely pass their phony "tests"???

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

They still might give you a discount, try.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Apple too was price gouging. Don't you get it?

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Someone has to pay for those huge service centres.

18. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Sounds
    Sounds like a good starting point for another lawsuit!

19. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Don't think Apple can actually do that so no lawsuit needed.

20. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

But you installed a third-party battery yourself, so shouldn't you be able to install a new screen as well?

21. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Satire dude. Satire.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

Considering they’re updating iOS to directly show owners the battery status without having to have a Genius run a test, ...

23. Gruntersdad12 macrumors newbie

Gruntersdad12

I have a certified Apple repair establishment near me that I would let do the work if they will do it for $29.00. But will Apple reimburse them for the extra amount they probably could have made???

24. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

It really only makes sense if you don't live close to an Apple retail store. Most people don't, but I do, so I'm gonna take mine in now that I've learned it's only $29!

25. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

With so many shady folks out there using cheap components from batteries to chargers I can see Apple trying to get consumers to shy away from 3rd parties. The first time the phone acts funny or blows up after using 3rd party wares, the consumer will blame Apple and be all over social media. How many times have we seen folks buying cheap chargers from China that made iPhones catch fire with them getting on social media blaming Apple?