iFixit Shares 10.5-Inch iPad Pro Teardown

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iFixit has published a 10.5-inch iPad Pro teardown that provides a closer look at the tablet's internal design.

[​IMG]

For the most part, the inside of an 10.5-inch iPad Pro looks similar to the 9.7-inch model it replaced, with only a few minor differences.

In the Wi-Fi version, for example, iFixit discovered some mysterious plastic blocks where the LTE antennas might be found in cellular models. It speculates the blocks are there to add support to the display assembly.

[​IMG]

In the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, Apple has affixed the display cables down the center of the device, which puts them out of harm's way when prying open the display. The display cable bracket is affixed with standard Phillips screws.

The teardown confirms the 10.5-inch iPad Pro has 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR4 RAM from Micron Technology, with flash storage supplied by Toshiba, which is currently selling its NAND memory division that produces those chips.

[​IMG]

iFixit awarded the 10.5-inch iPad Pro a very low repairability score of 2 out of 10 due to Apple's continued use of strong adhesives for the display, logic board, speakers, ribbon cables, and other components.

Article Link: iFixit Shares 10.5-Inch iPad Pro Teardown

2. Sunny1990, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

For the most part,the inside of an 10.5-inch iPad Pro looks similar to the 9.7 inch model it replaced,with only a few minor differences .........And Same 4GB Ram from 2015

Same,everything same,looks similar That's what called Innovation.....these days.

3. shly0718 macrumors member

shly0718

wow! even 2 out of 10 repairbility score, not 1

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Each and every one of these teardowns continues to boggle my mind as to how much sophisticated technology we can now pack into such a diminutive package..... amazing really.

5. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

9.7" iPads (include the Pros) have always had 2GB. It was the 12.9" version that shipped with 4GB.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_pro_9_7-7984.php

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you can't see the innovation of what the iPad Pro is and can do, then you're either trolling, too spoiled, or too jaded. I'm no fanboy, but look at what such a thin device is capable of and look at the competition. SMH.

7. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Yet it bests some MacBooks.

8. barkomatic macrumors 601

I could tell it had more RAM the moment I picked one up to check it out at an Apple Store last night. I currently have a 9.7 inch Pro and didn't expect to see much of a difference--but there was sadly. I say sadly because I'm tempted to get one even though my current iPad is a little over 1 year old. I must be strong.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And every tablet and smartphone available today.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Out of curiosity, how could you tell there was increased RAM the moment you picked it up?

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yeah let's just add more RAM for the sake of it. How is adding more RAM to a device innovative anyway?

11. barkomatic macrumors 601

Actually, I think it was a combination of the refresh rate *and* the RAM. I could keep far more active applications open in the background and tabs open in Safari which was due to RAM. The refresh rate I'm assuming was responsible for the very noticeable improvement in screen responsiveness and animations.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

13. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

LPDDR4 RAM while a MacBookPro has LPDDR3 RAM... Am I missing something here? :confused:

14. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

It weighed 2GB more... :D

15. Avieshek, Jun 14, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

1600MHz. It's same.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Compete with yourself, not others.

16. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

4 GB RAM should be plenty for iOS. At least at with the current and upcoming versions.

17. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Thanks to Micron, Toshiba, Sharp..

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Meaning what, in this particular context?

19. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

For the most part, the inside of an 10.5-inch iPad Pro looks similar to the 9.7-inch model it replaced, with only a few minor differences.

Only it actually looks completely different..... in the 9.7, as shown by iFixit, the logic board is to one side and the batteries stacked above each other on the other side. The 10.5" shows the logic board is located in the middle and the batteries are installed either side of it.

20. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

Yes. Apple's A10X that is in the iPad Pro supports LPDDR4 RAM, so naturally Apple included it. On the other hand, Intel processors do not support LPDDR4 at all, so Apple had to fall back on LPDRR3 as they were not willing to compromise on battery life and put in regular DDR4.

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This thing flies! Best iPad ever by a long shot. Running iOS 11 on this thing makes it feel like a baby Mac, especially with the Smart Keyboard. Having used the 9.7" display every year since 2010 except for 2013 when I dabbled with a Mini 2, I can say that the 10.5" display makes a noticeable difference. I had set my expectations fairly low for the difference it would make and was pleasantly surprised to see that it does just feel like there's more breathing room. Although I kind of wish they had just gone up to 10.9" and made the bezels even narrower, or allowed for the 10.5" display to be 326ppi with a toggle to run it in 12.9" resolution mode or this mode because when multitasking it does still feel a bit cramped.

I'm also surprised at the number of apps that seem to support it out of the gate using auto layouts. And you can tell when an app is blown up, but it's not very annoying. For instance, Speedtest.net's app is blown up, but most of the higher end drawing and photo editing apps I've tested are not.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Packing so much sophisticated technology, that it's getting much smaller. To the point where, they now need to add plastic "blanks" to fill in the blank space they have created by shrinking everything down.

23. iZac, Jun 14, 2017

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

My OCD side is inwardly pleased to see the 10.5 now share the same symmetrical layout as the 12.9 - with the chipset in the middle. The old 9.7 pro had the motherboard offset to one side like all the other iPads.

What kills me is that despite that, they still couldn't / wouldn't make the speakers symmetrical on the top and bottom. This is honestly one of the reasons I'm likely to get the 12.9 over this :p

24. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I'm very impressed with the 10.5" iPad + iOS 11. I hope they keep innovating at this pace every year for the iPad.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. I was impressed with not only the 12.9 iPad having 4 GB Ram back in 2015, but now they added 4 GB to the 10.5 iPad as well. Both of these iPads are powerhouses. With the 120 HZ refresh rate and 4 GB of Ram, iOS 11 is that much stronger when it launches in September.