iFixit takes apart the Retina Macbook Pro

CausticPuppy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Full teardown here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T9iNPZitGSp

Apple clearly made effective use of every cubic millimeter inside this case. Impressive engineering.

But, a couple of disconcerting notes:

1) The battery is GLUED into the case- iFixit was not able to remove it for fear of severing the trackpad cable

2) "The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly."

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
Does this effect anyone's thinking about buying one?

The fact that if the screen goes wrong its going to cost a LARGE amount of dough to fix, same with the batteries?

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).

A7ibaba

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
haha,basicly this means if something/anything goes wrong u are screwed. And this is actualy first revision of product on which apple will learn mistakes and early adopters will be test bunnys.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England

The fact that if the screen goes wrong its going to cost a LARGE amount of dough to fix, same with the batteries?
No, there are no surprises there. I already have the 2011 MBA so I know what to expect from a "closed" laptop.

Whilst I've upgraded my Mini and MBP in the past, I have had no intention of taking my MBA apart so I am not too concerned.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Never said this before and I hate extended warranties with the heat of a nova, but for a $2200+ computer dropping $250 for Applecare may not be the worst idea in the world.

A7ibaba

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
Never said this before and I hate extended warranties with the heat of a nova, but for a $2200+ computer dropping $250 for Applecare may not be the worst idea in the world.
+1.And i smell new extra profit for Apple.+5 year Apple care for only 999$.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
hope for SSD

The proprietary SSD isn't upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.
I've read a few hours ago about the different connector and its good to see a confirmation that the SSD can be user replaceable as soon as third party blade SSD manufacturers can replicate the exact daughtercard.