iFixit takes apart the Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CausticPuppy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Full teardown here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T9iNPZitGSp

Apple clearly made effective use of every cubic millimeter inside this case. Impressive engineering.

But, a couple of disconcerting notes:

1) The battery is GLUED into the case- iFixit was not able to remove it for fear of severing the trackpad cable

2) "The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly."

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And final confirmation as if it were really need of the hard soldered RAM. It is an impressive engineering feat though...95W battery? I guess that screen is going to need it though.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That's nearly quarter bigger than the old shape 15". :eek:

4. Jezthomp macrumors member

Does this effect anyone's thinking about buying one?

The fact that if the screen goes wrong its going to cost a LARGE amount of dough to fix, same with the batteries?

5. mleary macrumors regular

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

7. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

haha,basicly this means if something/anything goes wrong u are screwed. And this is actualy first revision of product on which apple will learn mistakes and early adopters will be test bunnys.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, there are no surprises there. I already have the 2011 MBA so I know what to expect from a "closed" laptop.

Whilst I've upgraded my Mini and MBP in the past, I have had no intention of taking my MBA apart so I am not too concerned.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Never said this before and I hate extended warranties with the heat of a nova, but for a $2200+ computer dropping $250 for Applecare may not be the worst idea in the world.

10. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

+1.And i smell new extra profit for Apple.+5 year Apple care for only 999$.

11. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

hope for SSD

I've read a few hours ago about the different connector and its good to see a confirmation that the SSD can be user replaceable as soon as third party blade SSD manufacturers can replicate the exact daughtercard.