Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aero7

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
so for an extra millimeter or two the battery could've been larger and that lens bump would be non existent.

I’m all for getting rid of the hideous bump. But the iphones are already absurdly thick and heavy. Go and compare it to an iPhone 6. It’s ridiculous that they still need a camera bump.

Reactions: Agit21 and nvmls

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No, the contrast is a made up number since OLED provides infinite contrast. And the IP rating is pointless since it isn't backed up by a warranty.
Correct. With respect to the water resistance, only one phone is warranties for the water resistance. All other phones from all other manufactures will deny claims for water leakage.

Water resistance benefits the consumer and not the manufacturer.

Last edited:

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Looking forward to ifixit’s scathing repairability score of 1/10, which will have no effect on anyones purchasing decisions

1/10? Clueless much?

Since the iPhone 3G all iPhones have scored either a 6/10 or 7/10. Don't see any reason why this model will be any different.

Reactions: 69Mustang

SeanG1027

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
Detroit
No, the contrast is a made up number since OLED provides infinite contrast. And the IP rating is pointless since it isn't backed up by a warranty.
I was gonna say.....all my OLED TVs say infinite contrast ratio, why would this display be any different? Doesn't infinite sound been than 2,000,000?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I was gonna say.....all my OLED TVs say infinite contrast ratio, why would this display be any different? Doesn't infinite sound been than 2,000,000?

The problem with infinite is it can't get bigger each year. So Apple arbitrarily decided the XS had ONE MILLION CONTRASTS!!! And now the 11 Pro has TWO MILLION CONTRASTS!!! That's ONE MILLION BETTER!!!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Looking forward to ifixit’s scathing repairability score of 1/10, which will have no effect on anyones purchasing decisions
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never actually paid attention to iFixit's iPhone repair scores. Spoiler alert: iPhones average 6's and 7's out of 10. There's only ever been one to get lower than a 6. The original.

Reactions: PC_tech

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Since the iPhone 3G all iPhones have scored either a 6/10 or 7/10. Don't see any reason why this model will be any different.

I think the point the OP is making is repairability is not a significant criteria for folks when choosing a phone and that it probably could/should be. Either that or he/she feels iFixit's scores are meaningless to pretty much everyone.

At any rate, the teardowns are interesting but at the end of the day I am one of those who buys an iPhone and I don't give two thoughts to repairability.

[As an aside, I looked at the Note 10+ score and it's a paltry 3.]

Reactions: I7guy and Stevez67

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I think the point the OP is making is repairability is not a significant criteria for folks when choosing a phone and that it probably could/should be. Either that or he/she feels iFixit's scores are meaningless to pretty much everyone.

At any rate, the teardowns are interesting but at the end of the day I am one of those who buys an iPhone and I don't give two thoughts to repairability.

[As an aside, I looked at the Note 10+ score and it's a paltry 3.]
That's not the point the OP was making at all. It was pretty clear he was implying that iFixit was going to give the iPhone a low repairability score. Even more so, the way he wrote was as if iFixit had a history of giving iPhones low scores. It couldn't be further from the truth.

I'd agree that it's fair to say most people don't use phone repair as a criteria for purchase decisions. But that ain't the point of that quote. The point was clearly an effort to disparage iFixit.

Reactions: H2SO4 and PC_tech

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
The camera bump is what makes this phone so distinctive. It's "industrial" look is compelling and makes other camera implementations look dated. It is one of the factors for early sales apparently beating expectations. The are a great way of saying, "I have the best camera/software combination available. This will be even more true with the software "Fusion" upgrade coming soon.

Personally, I much prefer a thinner phone. Thin and light is more important to me than battery life, but I realize I am not in the majority on that one.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Looks good to me and a bunch of other people based on the long lines at Apple stores.
Jut asking myself if you really think that camera bump looks good or whether you're trying to be contradictory.
[automerge]1569010549[/automerge]
The camera bump is what makes this phone so distinctive. It's "industrial" look is compelling and makes other camera implementations look dated. It is one of the factors for early sales apparently beating expectations. The are a great way of saying, "I have the best camera/software combination available. This will be even more true with the software "Fusion" upgrade coming soon.

Personally, I much prefer a thinner phone. Thin and light is more important to me than battery life, but I realize I am not in the majority on that one.
Does it look distinctive? Yes.
Does it look good? No.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
we
Wouldn't it be safe to say it would have an extra hour or two if they had increased the thickness to meet the same thickness of the camera hub?

Perhaps. But no way I'd want an even thicker phone.
[automerge]1569016893[/automerge]
Jut asking myself if you really think that camera bump looks good or whether you're trying to be contradictory.

I think it looks great. Phone appearance, to me or to others who happen to be looking at it, isn't something I covet.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
so for an extra millimeter or two the battery could've been larger and that lens bump would be non existent.
And then people would be complaining about how thick and how heavy the new iPhone was. With a legit battery capacity increase this year, I think I’m good as it is. Agree that the longstanding camera bump has been a bummer though. Almost forces a bumper or case.
[automerge]1569017520[/automerge]
1/10? Clueless much?

If you watch the video you’ll actually get a sense that this model will likely score a little better.

Does it look distinctive? Yes.
Does it look good? No.
Don’t make the common mistake of thinking that aesthetics opinions are objective.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019

And it would be even heavier. And scratches more easily when flat on a surface without a case.

And best of all it doesn't matter to anyone besides some keyboard warriors because almost everybody uses a case.

Tell that to the millions on MacRumors complaining about the XR thickness compared to the XS.

Anyone who has an iphone XR and an XS (myself included) will tell you that the iphone XR feels notably thicker and that's only 0.5mm thicker. People think 1-2 mm is small, but on a phone you instantly tell the difference when you have it in your hand.

People already are feeling the extra 25 grams on the new phones. Because while that sounds small (like that thickness) an extra 5-10% weight is pretty big.

So what I would tell to the millions on MacRumors telling that the iPhone could easily be 2mm thicker and an extra 10% heavier, no it can't and it shouldn't it would make for a far worse experience for a device that most of us have in our hands a couple of hours per day.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
The camera bump is what makes this phone so distinctive.

This. I’m not making a judgment on whether I like the bump, I upgraded last year and I’m not in the market.

Apple are masters of marketing. Whether you like some of their choices or not these industrial design decisions identify something as an Apple product straight away. Just like the notch and white AirPods this camera bump screams I’m an Apple product. And it works. I remember when the X came out I was curious how popular it was and when I travelled on public transport I could glance at someone’s phone and could immediately identify the brand because of the notch. Of course many manufacturers went on to copy the notch, but to my eye I can still spot an Apple because of its particular size and shape (squircles play a strong part here).

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I’m assuming everyone who is complaining about the camera bump doesn’t use a case. You folks know it’s $279 to replace the screen, right? I just use an Apple leather case, it’s about as slim as possible and protects from falls. The camera is slightly inset on the back so I can even lay the phone down on a concrete bench without worrying about scratching the camera lens.

Correct. Been using iPhones since the iPhone 3G. Never used a case. Never broke a screen.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Using ifixit's data, one can calculate that the battery in the Samsung Note 10+ has a somewhat higher energy density than that in the iPhone Pro 11 Max (6% higher by volume, 12% higher by weight):

Note 10+:
16.56 Wh, 24.8 cm^3, 59.1 g
=> 0.67 Wh/cm^3, 0.28 Wh/g

iPhone Pro 11 Max:
15.04 Wh, 23.8 cm^3, 59.6 g
=> 0.63 Wh/cm^3, 0.25 Wh/g

Of course, we know that in the past Samsung has achieved compactness by using thinner internal separators, which made their batteries more prone to catastrophic failure. So it may be that Samsung is (while being a bit more conservative than in the past) still being less conservative than Apple. Or maybe Samsung just has better battery technology. I don't know myself.

I wonder how much empty space is in these phones. ifixit could test this by measuring water displacement for an intact phone (assuming no water ingress), vs. that for one that's been completely torn down (or, to be more accurate, they could measure buoyancy, since that measurement uses an analytical balance rather than a direct volume measurement, and the former is more accurate). If they don't want to sacrifice a new phone, they could do it for an older model.

[automerge]1569111149[/automerge]

*Edit* I’m mocking ifixit here folks, to be clear :p
Interestingly, it actually got a 6, as compared with a 3 for the Samsung Note 10+.
[automerge]1569111169[/automerge]

Last edited:

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Exactly my thought. Most people I know would not mind 1 or 2 mm more if that meant no bump and more battery life.

Especially once you put it in a case, that 1-2mm is basically unnoticible, but the extra battery life would be great.

SeanG1027

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
Detroit
The problem with infinite is it can't get bigger each year. So Apple arbitrarily decided the XS had ONE MILLION CONTRASTS!!! And now the 11 Pro has TWO MILLION CONTRASTS!!! That's ONE MILLION BETTER!!!
Well anyone with any OLED knowledge knows that its truly infinite. As a matter of fact, Apple even educated the public on how they are able to turn off each pixel to achieve that contrast ratio. OLED TVs have done that since day 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.