Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095043-2010_mbp_exploded.jpg

Exploded view of new 15" Core i5 MacBook Pro
iFixit yesterday announced that it had completed a teardown of Apple's new 15" Core i5 MacBook Pro released earlier this week. Unsurprisingly, the teardown reveals few significant changes to Apple's well-refined notebook computer, although it does show a number of minor tweaks that point to Apple's continuing evolution of its designs.

094808-2010_mbp_apbt_antenna.jpg

AirPort/Bluetooth card with antenna routed along optical drive opening
Among the changes are a redesign and repositioning of the AirPort/Bluetooth card to more closely match that of the MacBook, with the company also placing an antenna for the card along the frame of the optical drive slot to allow for better reception in the metal casing. The report notes that while the card design and placement is similar to that of the MacBook, the MacBook lacks the antenna placement found in the MacBook Pro, likely due to the plastic construction of its shell reducing the need for such an antenna.

Otherwise, iFixit notes a slight redesign to the speaker casing and the lack of heat sink contact for the chipset hub, as well as the slightly increased capacity of the battery, but otherwise finds the internals extremely similar to that of the previous-generation MacBook Pro.

Article Link: iFixit Tears Down the New 15-Inch MacBook Pro, Finds Few Major Changes

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
It doesn't say that the battery is physically larger than the previous generation, so I guess "in theory" you could swap them out to get another 20 minutes unless Apple put some sort of hardware DRM to prevent it. Wouldn't put it past them.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
There's not a huge scope for change, really. Good to see that Apple are constantly trying to refine their internal designs too.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Apple has dramatically reduced this machine’s power consumption, and we expect it to run quite a bit cooler than the previous model.

Yet Anandtech said it was noticeably warmer. Should probably try and use it before you tear it apart iFixit ;)

New longer-lasting battery and wireless locations are welcome pluses.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Did I read somewhere that the speakers now have subwoofers on the 15 and 17 inch models? :confused: Or has it always been that way?

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Do you really need an answer to that? :confused:

I don't know, do you really need an answer for your question? :rolleyes:

It was just a simple question. I always see post about them taking things apart, but I've never checked their site out... So I'm clueless to what they do with the pieces when they're done.

Edit: Never mind, I checked their site out haha :eek:

finder39

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Chicago, IL
Did I read somewhere that the speakers now have subwoofers on the 15 and 17 inch models? :confused: Or has it always been that way?

actually the old ones did too, its just a really small one thats like half an inch wide. I have taken apart mine (i now have last generation 13 inch pro) when i had some issues with it and saw it in there. do some googling to.

i dunno how much it does but on the right song it can shake the macbook a little. its not for that though, its just to hit the lower notes with something

Bleubird2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Id love to be able to swap out my 13" battery for a newer higher capacity battery.... Is this possible? How can i find thw part number of the new battery?

I could be wrong about this, but I think the longer battery life is from better management of the graphics and not because of any changes to the battery. Changing your battery would be more hassle than its worth anyway.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
If the WIFI antenna isn't located in the black plastic display hinge anymore, why they don't make this Hinge from aluminum again like the old non unibody powerbook's? :(

With kind regards
Bas

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is it really worth it to trade Nvidia 9400m/9600m GT for Intel GMA/Nvidia 330m

hAkron

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
I could be wrong about this, but I think the longer battery life is from better management of the graphics and not because of any changes to the battery. Changing your battery would be more hassle than its worth anyway.

I think all you need is one of those tri-wing drivers like you would use to take apart a Nintendo cartridge, so the only hassle is the cost of the batter, but I agree with your presumption that the batter itself isn't much different, it's the rest of the hardware managing the power more efficiently.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
It doesn't say that the battery is physically larger than the previous generation, so I guess "in theory" you could swap them out to get another 20 minutes unless Apple put some sort of hardware DRM to prevent it. Wouldn't put it past them.

Was wondering the same thing...waiting for someone with time on their hands to try it out :D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It looks nice. Shame about the price, though!

I would rather Apple charge the price they are charging if what they are doing is just refining rather than completely redesigning, thus making for a whole new notebook with growing pains. This is a better service to the customer.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Do you really need an answer to that? :confused:

Yes, maybe he does. What a smug post I must say. It's not like he's spamming the thread with the same question. If you think that post was useless, clearly you don't come here often.

Anyway, I find it funny people put this topic as a negative in the pole. "Damn you Apple! Redesign the internals!!!" lol. I wish I could get my hands on a unibody mbp, I love the design.

hAkron

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009

I think all you need is one of those tri-wing drivers like you would use to take apart a Nintendo cartridge, so the only hassle is the cost of the batter, but I agree with your presumption that the battery itself isn't much different, it's the rest of the hardware managing the power more efficiently.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Id love to be able to swap out my 13" battery for a newer higher capacity battery.... Is this possible? How can i find thw part number of the new battery?

Its possible, but you need to change the case to 15 or 17 inch, screen to 15 or 17, and 15 or 17 logic board

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.