iFlicks presets and what they do?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by micrors4racer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2012
    I am trying out iflicks and I can't seem to find any information on what the presets specifically do. What presets do you guys use for use on itunes,ipad3/iphone5, apple tv 3?
  2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
    1. What's your source material? 1080p H.264?

2. whats the target? ATV3?

If the answer to both questions is "yes", use plain remuxing (for example, MKV -> MP4).
  3. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2012
    Answer is yes to both. Iflicks has many different profiles for remuxing/reencoding and I don't know which one to use because they have no documents stating what each one does. I am interested in learning about the reference file, itunes compatible, universal, and the new appletv/new ipad settings since these seem to be what I need but don't know which one to use.
  4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2010
    I never used iFlicks for encoding; Handbrake has always been what I used. I do use iFlicks for its ability to add the correct actors, director, description, etc. to my movies and TV shows. It does a great job in that regard.

It may be easier to use Handbrake for your encoding and iFlicks for your tagging, like I do.
  5. connorpb7 macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2012
    I have used both iflicks and handbrake for encoding my rips. In my experience using the "itunes compatible" setting in iflicks has resulted in great quality for my apple tv 3. I have put some of these encodes on my ipad as well and they work wonderfully, but this may just be my experience. I have no experience with any of the other settings in iflicks.