iFrame video with Nikon camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by (L)SD, Oct 22, 2013.

1. (L)SD macrumors newbie

iFrame video was introduced in 2009, so it obviously hasn't caught on. My Nikon P500 can shoot in 1080, 720 and iFrame, which is 960x540, so it's sort of in between SD and HD. I shot the same 7 second clip in 1080, 720 and iFrame, and surprisingly, iFrame was a larger file, and higher data rate than even 1080...1080 was 13 megs (15mbps), 720 was 8.2 megs (9.5 mbps), and iFrame was 17.7 megs (18.2 mbps).
    ----
    Just curious if anybody has used iframe in the 'real world'? I'm thinking it might be a good "one generation" format, say a short clip of kids or dogs, uploaded directly to youtube without any editing.

2. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

It's only Standard def & although the faster bitrate sounds great, it's only because there is no Interframe compression (each frame is it's own image, hence iFrame) - in the real world the HD formats will be far far better quality with a smaller overall file size!

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong (and I probably am), but reading between the lines on the iframe video format it seems that it was sort of a consumer friendly solid state version of DV & basically a stopgap until editing programs had the horsepower to edit AVCHD & other LongGOP formats natively.

3. (L)SD, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

(L)SD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - Your explanation about separate frames makes sense, there's less 'stuttering' in the image when panning left or right (i.e. less compression artifacts).
    -----
    My iMovie 11 seems to handle just about everything easily, even "pro" DV-AVI (Standard Def at least), so these days, iFrame goes the way of mini-disc and 8 tracks. :)