IFrogz Merge iPhone 5 Case Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by docprego, Oct 14, 2012.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Because of all the reports of the black aluminum developing blemishes, I installed Phantom Skinz matte back and sides on my iPhone 5. Next I have been on a quest to find a case that will fit on top of the Phantom Skinz matte back and sides so that I have some impact and drop protection. I tried the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer which is a beautiful case but just didn't fit right on top of the Phantom Skinz. I also tried the iFrogz Breeze which was nice but once again didn't fit.

My search ended today with the iFrogz Merge. I picked this case up at Target for $24.99. It's made of a TPU like material with a very nice textured back and smooth sides. The entire case features a matte finish. I installed the case on my skinned iphone 5 and unlike the other cases I mentioned it was a terrific fit on top of the skin.

Pros:

-Fantastic fit on my Phantom Skinz skinned phone.
    -Excellent feedback on the volume buttons.
    -All cutouts are precisely done.
    -Excellent fit and finish with no jagged edges or other imperfections/irregularities.
    -Small lip around the screen so that it never contacts the surface when the phone is laid screen down.
    -Precise camera cutout that does not interfere with camera functionality. Some cases cut this area out far too large and you end up seeing the line that divides the upper glass piece from the aluminum, not so with this one.
    -Did not bubble my SGP Ultra Oleophobic screen protector at all (it is installed in the photos below).

Cons:

-The power button does not have the excellent tactile feedback that the volume buttons do. This might be a consequence of my phone being skinned and changing the way the case fits a tiny amount.

Overall I'd rate this case a 9.5/10, only the less than perfect power button prevents it from being perfection. Please excuse the photo quality, I had to take these with my iPad 3 since the iPhone was in the case.

Attached Files:

2. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Looks nice - almost like it was part of the phone until you turned it over. Not crazy about that pattern but that's just me. Otherwise looks like a really nice case with some protection without being real bulky. Thanks for the pics :)

3. Jizzles macrumors regular

This actually looks nice. I checked target but they didn't have this particular case in stock. I guess I'll have to check other targets. Did they have any other designs for the case?

4. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed it is minimalistic and sort of disappears from the front. The rear texture is really nice, I love how it feels in the hand and it looks really nice too.

5. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes there is one called ostrich that is a pink design. Sprint stores sell a gray side and red backed version.

6. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Update: I placed a super thin piece of self adhesive foam inside the case between the power button and the case. This completely solved the issue I was having with the power button being unresponsive.

7. bgl321 macrumors newbie

I bought this case today. This is the fifth one I've tried in 2weeks of having the phone. Thinking this might be the one. Great fill and fit. Love it!

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

My wife was just in target yesterday looking at the 4s version of this case. Shoulda told her to just get it...

9. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo