Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Wait so this version sucks and the next one is going to cost me some money? Curse you ifuntastic!!!!!!

But that's okay. Installer.app is still free, works great. Cyberduck is open source, works great. :)

You have that working, so it doesn't really matter! :cool:

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
But that's okay. Installer.app is still free, works great. Cyberduck is open source, works great. :)

You have that working, so it doesn't really matter! :cool:

Yeah i guess your right...idk i started modding with ifuntastic and was very pleased with the whole thing so im a little more inclined to use ifuntastic but oh well...it weird cuz all the comments on engadget praise the thing but everyone here says it sucks...tempted as i am i think im gonna go with you guys a lil more than them

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I don't know how some of you people are screwing your phones up with this program because I've been using it flawlessly with ZERO problems.

that tells me the program works as designed and user error is obviously apparent in other places.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The General, since you seem to be on top of the game when it comes to these things, is it possible to modify your home screen background the Cyberduck way? If so, what am I looking to modify or replace? Thanks in advance.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
DisplayOrder.plist

*.app/icon.png

LocalizedApplicationNames.string

Yeah, it's possible. It just takes a lot of work.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Ok, I've used all the previous versions of iFuntastic without any difficulties. However, in this version I fully restored and started from scratch as to not cause any possible conflicts. When I replaced the home screen icons they were first white with no graphic. Then I tried again, but this time they were not aligned properly. So it appears you have to be very careful in aligning the icons on the home screen, perhaps using the optional grid to make certain. Also, the icon text is checked but not appearing on the home screen, and occasionally I have to unplug and plug the phone back in after "unshackling", or I have to restart my phone altogether according to the trouble shooting icon.

No, it's not me, it's def. NOT PEBKAC, this program may work for some (mostly because they're probably not doing much with it), but if using every feature of ver 3.0.3, I'd say it's hella buggy.

akophone

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
So sorry to hear some folks find this version problematic. Yes, I experienced some bugs but I've been really happy with it so far! I do wish there were more options and features but I think v3 is awesome!

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
No, it's not me, it's def. NOT PEBKAC, this program may work for some (mostly because they're probably not doing much with it), but if using every feature of ver 3.0.3, I'd say it's hella buggy.

once again...

well let's see. I have rearranged my icons, I have changed my home screen and created three other screens and I have added/deleted ringtones. all without ZERO problems.

what else can I do that I haven't already done? I could understand if everyone was having problems or issues with this program which would then make me think the program is buggy. but, there are people like myself (and others) that are having zero problems.

therefore, user error in my book. ;)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
once again...

well let's see. I have rearranged my icons, I have changed my home screen and created three other screens and I have added/deleted ringtones. all without ZERO problems.

what else can I do that I haven't already done? I could understand if everyone was having problems or issues with this program which would then make me think the program is buggy. but, there are people like myself (and others) that are having zero problems.

therefore, user error in my book. ;)

Yes, because all computers are created equal. Some software runs well on one computer, poorly on another. Just because you're having good luck with yours doesn't mean that anyone with any problem = user error.

Tell me, just what buttons or key strokes could one do in order to get the effect these folks are having? What exactly is it that they are doing wrong? Pressing the "mess my iPhone up" button??

Think about it. Don't be so quick to assume it's user error, and also don't be so cocky. There are others in this thread that know a lot more about hacking the iPhone than you, and they are experiencing the same problems.

You don't know everything.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Yes, because all computers are created equal. Some software runs well on one computer, poorly on another. Just because you're having good luck with yours doesn't mean that anyone with any problem = user error.

Tell me, just what buttons or key strokes could one do in order to get the effect these folks are having? What exactly is it that they are doing wrong? Pressing the "mess my iPhone up" button??

Think about it. Don't be so quick to assume it's user error, and also don't be so cocky. There are others in this thread that know a lot more about hacking the iPhone than you, and they are experiencing the same problems.

Exactly, and thanks for saving myself the trouble :) .

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area

and I have never claimed to know everything. you however have given that impression many, many times over (in your past thread replies) so you might want to take a good look in the mirror and repeat to yourself what you tell me about not knowing everything.

as for the app? I just call it the way I see it. I've been using it since it came out. I have lots of free time with my job which means I play with my iPhone alot every day and like I keep on saying, my iPhone has been running just fine.

so if that means I know everything then so be it. but I'm not going to sit back and allow you to talk trash to me and not defend myself. especially when everything I have said is the truth. therefore, I suggest that you climb off your high horse and take a break from being all high and mighty.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
and I have never claimed to know everything. you however have given that impression many, many times over (in your past thread replies) so you might want to take a good look in the mirror and repeat to yourself what you tell me about not knowing everything.

The difference between you and me is that you cop and attitude and pretend to know a lot about hacking the iPhone, wheras I lend a helping hand to anyone who needs it. Instead of saying "user error" I offer workarounds and solutions to problems.

If you're saying that instead of helping people, I should just say "user error" then that really shows something about you. Offering help is not the same as acting like I know everything.

as for the app? I just call it the way I see it. I've been using it since it came out. I have lots of free time with my job which means I play with my iPhone alot every day and like I keep on saying, my iPhone has been running just fine.

But you really don't call it like it is. If it is user error, please explain to me the erroneous process a user will go through in order to get messed up application labels. Is there a button or a menu that has a "break my iPhone" option that these people are clicking on accident?

You have yet to answer that question. Instead, you'll probably just get more defensive and insulting. I don't even know why I am bothering with you, really ... :rolleyes:

so if that means I know everything then so be it. but I'm not going to sit back and allow you to talk trash to me and not defend myself. especially when everything I have said is the truth. therefore, I suggest that you climb off your high horse and take a break from being all high and mighty.

You won't just sit back and let me talk trash about you without defending yourself? Yet you expect everyone else in the thread to sit back and let you talk trash about them?

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I testify in Generals defense (I think we all can), i cant tell you how many times i have been lost or messed up my iphone or anything and he has helped me out every single time with an explanation until i got it...not just sat there and was like.."uhh well it worked for me, sucks for you"

chopperglide

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
let me say one thing...

i don't know The General from Adam, but i know this....whenever someone asked a question about all this stuff he ALWAYS answers in kind. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES IT HAS BEEN ASKED. Even when a stooge like me overlooked it in previous threads. What i am saying is "you know a tree by it's fruit". Let's be careful what we say here. Even amongst us "user error" idiots he's been more than helpful. Which is more than i can see or read of you ozziegn.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
The General offers help, without judgment and without condescending behavior. As he has been a loyal commentator on Macrumors for a long time and as he has established a good record of conduct I believe he is owed an apology for your inappropriate behavior and personal attacks.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will behave given the anonymity of the internet. I wish more people would treat each other online as they would face to face, it would demonstrate much more sincerity and kindness in the human population, something that is sadly lacking in these recent years. :(

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
is it possible to run ifuntastic on different macs? or are you just tied to only 1 mac?

and once you unshackle, thats it? you never have to do that step again (unless you restore your phone)?

pinksalmon

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
yeah..... right.....

i think the "user error" is a bit of jumping to conclusions. i used 2.5 never had problems, just installed 3.0.3 and its a piece of crap. i'm done with ifuntastic if they begin to charge for this kind of nonsense. i'm a newbie to hacking anything and i had an easier time going through terminal to install installler.app and then using cyberduck to change what i want. i'm siding with the fact that this update to ifuntastic is a bit(understatement) buggy. ill stick with cyberduck:)

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
ifuntastic 3 works well, but how come all my text on my home screen shows as MobileSMS, MobilePhone, MobileMail, MobileSafari, MobileMusicPlayer, etc? How can I fix this? other than that it works pretty well... except using my home screen background as my home wallpaper doesnt seem to work.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ifuntastic 3 works well, but how come all my text on my home screen shows as MobileSMS, MobilePhone, MobileMail, MobileSafari, MobileMusicPlayer, etc? How can I fix this? other than that it works pretty well... except using my home screen background as my home wallpaper doesnt seem to work.

Unzip the attached file and put it in this directory:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/English.lproj/

That should fix it for you, unless you've setup some sort of theme with a background.

Attachments

• LocalizedApplicationNames.strings.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 175

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007

User error, OBVIOUSLY... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, its just crappy software. You didnt do anything wrong, and there is nothing you can do to change it. Except restore your iphone. Should have taken my above comments to heart. :(

*Edit unless The General fixes all your problems, 5 seconds before my above post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.