IGN Column: Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

IGN's former Nintendo Executive Editor and current Editor-at-Large Matt Casamassina rants on Nintendo's Wii game development quality.

"In New Super Mario Bros. Wii's multiplayer mode, you can play as icons Mario, Luigi or two versions of sideshow character Toad. So when famed Nintendo designer and development leader Shigeru Miyamoto is asked prior to the game's release why Princess Peach wasn't included as a playable character instead, he pauses and says that it would've been nice, but that the physique of Toad more closely resembles that of Mario. "And if one of the four had a dress, we'd have to come up with a special programming to handle how the skirt is handled in gameplay," he jokes.

I know the legendary producer -- a man responsible for many of my favorite games across two decades -- is just kidding about Peach's dress, but it's the first part of his comment that strikes me as interesting and even a little disturbing. He just told a room full of reporters that the only reason gamers must play as multi-colored versions of Toad instead of Peach or other beloved Mushroom Kingdom characters is because Toad has the same body shape as Mario and it was simply easier for Nintendo to recycle him.

With all due respect to Miyamoto, a proven gaming genius and innovator, that's just lazy. Either that, or Nintendo has gone off the deep end in its dogged pursuit of the business bottom line. This is not a two-man garage developer which works on games after its kids go to bed. It's a multi-billion dollar corporation with thousands of employees, many of whom have helped shape the very industry as we know it. A cash behemoth with unrivaled game-making experience. That it might even ponder recycling a character for one its most beloved and lucrative franchises so that it might save time, money, or whatever, seems ludicrous. That it actually did so is unbelievable."

He goes on to mention Animal Crossing City Folk, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, new Play Control! titles and Wii Play.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html

I'm sorry to say it, but I agree with him. But I doubt Nintendo plans to make changes anytime soon. Just look at what they're doing with Super Mario Galaxy 2. Not only is it a sequel, they're going to recycle many of the same stages from the previous release and add them back with new objectives.

2. macfan881 macrumors 68020

agreed this is why i have only bought one nintendo exclusive for the wii Super smash bros brawl and i hardly play that if at all i play wii sports every now and then. it amazes me that the wii is still in first place in the console war.:confused:

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nintendo are lazy, money-grabbing little gits.

They use the same IP over and over and over and over, barely changing the gameplay in between the titles and claiming that there's a big difference between them. They'll then shamelessly go back to an old title, spruce up the graphics a bit and add NEW in front of the title and charge full price for the game.

Then, they produce the hardware they want to make, not what the customer wants, and then brainwash the masses into accepting it. Like it or not, gaming is now in its HD phase, but Nintendo doesn't want to do it because it will cost more and cut into their profits. So they release the Wii, with a resolution of 480p, and motion controls. Market the hell out of it and voila, it prints money. But for the customer, they use it for a while, complete the handful of decent games and then don't touch it for months.

Another example of Nintendo ignoring customers is their implementation of online matchmaking. These days, we want to be able to login to a server and have a load of games available to join with no fuss. What does Nintendo do? Forces you to play with your real-life friends only, via a Friends Code system that is clunky and hard to deal with. I have never taken my Wii online because of this awful system.

Oh, and they just re-release handhold systems as well. Looking at you DSi and DSi XL.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They might be lazy but I couldn't give a damn....they make fun games and thats what matters most to me.

Bless

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

When their games stop being the best in the business, I'll get upset, until then Nintendo is doing fine by me

6. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, practically every developer does this nowadays.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is the problem, to me, especially in platformers. The very best of surprisingly good, delightful platform games that come from outside Nintendo just do not compete with the Mario Bros, even when Nintendo is "lazy" in putting together a Mario game. Frustrating it is, too! :mad:

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, but to a lesser extent. We still see new IP this generation (Uncharted, Assassins Creed, PixelJunk), whereas Nintendo do literally nothing new.

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Word. Some people like to get upset at Nintendo for rehashing Mario, LoZ, Metroid, etc... but the games are still amazing. I dont care if they make mario rehashes until the day i die, as long as they stay fun.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bwaaaa?! PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSPGo? PS3, PS3 without backwards compatibility, PS3 Slim? Come off it ;).

My thoughts exactly. The same series have been going since the original NES but as far as I'm concerned - they can keep going until they become stale. The only problem is they change them before they can even get stale, like Metroid moving completely to 3D now. There was room for a 2D Metroid on the DS but they're just not doing it. Theres still room for classic Zeldas but they've gone all modern too. Ho hum!
    If the result of continued series means Mario Galaxy, New Mario, Metroid Prime, Pokemon Platinum then I hope they continue.

(although I find calling people lazy because they didn't do what you wanted quite absurd. Just like people call Valve lazy because they wont port to PS3, Mac etc.)