Ignorant questions about MacBook sleep on/off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bking1000, Sep 1, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Pardon these ignorant questions, but my Macbook is moving from purely mobile to a desktop situation.

How do you get the MB to work with an external monitor with the lid CLOSED? Mine wants to sleep?

Also, how do I wake the laptop from sleep if I put it to sleep with the lid open? I have a wireless apple keyboard, and the enter key doesn't seem to wake it, even though I checked "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in the preferences section (under mouse and keyboard, bluetooth)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm guessing you have an external monitor? Well connect the keyboard, mouse, and display. Open the lid to press the power button and immediate the close the lid. Then everything should work like normal on the external. If you wait to close the lid, then the computer will use the laptop display and sleep when you close it. Of course you just have to wait it when it sleeps.

Why would the lid be open? If the lid is open you can just press the power button on the computer. If you meant closed, then press the eject or space bar on the external keyboard.

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I do have the monitor, but I still have to get teh mini-dvi to dvi connector, so I'm not able to try it with the monitor. I'll follow your suggestions above

For now, though, I have the wireless kb and mouse, and if the MB sleeps on its own (i.e. times out) then the wireless kb can wake it. If, however, I use the menu choice or power button to sleep it (no, not shut it off -- just sleep), then nothing seems to wake it EXCEPT to close the lid and open it again. So, I feel like I must be missing something.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to wait like a minute or so after you sleep it before you can wait it up again.