Ignore a specific Wifi connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psac, Mar 3, 2011.

1. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Is there any way to force the iPhone to ignore a specific Wifi connection? At work we have a Guest-only Wifi connection that my iPhone finds every time I try to browse. It's the only Wifi connection in the area, and I hate having to Cancel multiple times a day. Is there any way to make my phone never see this connection? "Forget" doesn't do this, and I'd prefer not to have to turn my wifi off completely at work then turn it back on at home.

Thanks!

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Does turning off "Ask to Join Networks" under the wifi settings help?

3. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Hmmm, interesting suggestion. That would let me go about my normal day to day routine connecting at home, not connecting at work, etc., without being bothered. When I'm out and about and maybe would want to find a rogue wifi, I can turn this back on. I'm open to any other suggestions, but I'll give this a try. Thanks much!!

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

You don't have to turn it back on. When you want to connect to a new WiFi network just go to Settings-->WiFi and choose the network you want to connect to.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is exactly right. In fact, I can't imagine anyone ever having the "Ask to Join Networks" option on at all. It seems like almost everywhere you go these days there are multiple wifi networks and that pop-up becomes a constant annoyance.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've never used the "Ask to Join Networks" setting before, but from now on, it'll be the default for me.

One reason why I never use wifi even at home is that I can't stand having to hit cancel every time I walk around places with random hotspots.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You meant to say that you're going to keep "Ask to Join Networks" off, right? There's no reason not to use wifi at home, especially as long as you keep that setting set to off. I also can't stand seeing that pop-up every time I'm in range of a hotspot but keeping that setting to off takes care of that problem. Your phone will still automatically join your home wifi network and any other network you want it to join too so you don't lose anything other than the annoying pop-up.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, I meant I'm going to use the "off" option.

I use 3G at home 85% of the time except for when I'm streaming videos or downloading/uploading large files. I like to think I'm getting my money's worth ;)

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You do realize that you're much better off using wifi at home though, right? It's most certainly faster than your 3g connection and it uses less battery.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep, I do know it's faster and better for battery life. I don't know, it's just been a long habit of mine. I've been doing this since the 3G.

When I'm lounging around on it, I don't mind the extra couple seconds wait. Battery life I usually end at 6 hours used per cycle.

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Not mine...LOL I live in a very rural area, and I'm lucky when I get 1 mbps; most of the time it is around 700 kbps. On 3G I sometimes get 4mbps.