Ignore closed lid after wake on demand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juuro, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Juuro macrumors member

Juuro

Hello together,

I plan to use an three year old MacBook Pro as a Plex Media Server. It should wake on demand and go to sleep when I don't watch anything. That works great, but only if the lid is open. If the lid is closed and the MacBook Pro is sleeping I can wake it but after a minute it goes bak to sleep no matter if I am watching something right now or not. I thought a tool like NoSleep could help. But this tool prevents the Mac from going to sleep when closing the lid. When it is already closed and sleeping NoSleep has no effect. The Mac will go to sleep again after a minute.

Is there another tool or configuration which simply tells the MacBook Pro to ignore the status of the lid? I can't imagine that this isn't possible.

Best regards, Juuro

2. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Some relevant advise in this thread...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4250776?start=0&tstart=0

I've also (accidentally) discovered that having something in the print queue (but not able to print) will keep a macbook awake forever with the lid closed, if it's plugged into AC power.

So you could always try printing something with no printer attached and then leaving it in the print queue... :D

3. Juuro thread starter macrumors member

Juuro

Thanks for your answer. But I know this thread. That's where I found NoSleep.

The problem ist not that the MacBook goes to sleep after I close the lid. The problem is that it won't stay awake after it was waked on lan when the lid is closed.
    It should behave like the lid is open when the lid is closed.

4. Wildwillis macrumors member

Just wanted to 'bump' this to see if anyone else can help. I've tried to do the exact same thing but didn't have any luck either.

Essentially, we need something that disables the lid sensor or makes the MacBook ignore it. I didnt want to disable sleep completely; I just wanted to be able wake it up remotely, stream a movie, and go back to sleep when it's done like I can do if the lid is open. Apple really ticks me off with things like this...