Ignore iMac internal CD Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Minding, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Minding macrumors newbie

A friend bought a new iMac and was going to throw out her mid-2011. Silly. I took it and took care of most problems. One lingers. The internal CD Drive is broke and I don't need it. But there are continuous and endless attempts to read a disk (whether or not one is inside.) Any software suggestions for getting Yosemite to ignore the drive altogether? Thanks.

George

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I've never tried the following and I'm not sure it would work, but....

.... I'm wondering if there aren't some "kext" files (OS extensions that load during bootup and govern communication with devices like the DVD/CD drive) that could be removed, thus purposely "severing" communications between the Mac and the DVD drive?

By removing these kexts, they would not load at boot time, and the iMac would not "see" the presence of the DVD drive, and hence, "ignore" it.

The trick is knowing WHICH kexts to remove.
    Remove the wrong ones, and you could end up with unintended consequences...

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Could you not simply open it up enough to reach in and unplug the DVD drive cable (data or power, which ever is easy)? I think the 2011 was still held closed with magnets.

4. Minding thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks HFG. I could though it's a little more complicated than just removign the screen, but I want a software solution.

----------

Thanks Fishrrrman. I'll look into kext files. I'm hoping there's a Terminal command similar to turning off the startup trumpet sound.

George

5. Minding thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3070708?start=0&tstart=0). Removing the two StorageFamily.kext files didn't do the job. The system is still doing something with the CD drive (initializing? looking for a disk?)

I'm hesitant to issue the Terminal commands without understanding the relationship of the IOSCSI and IOBD files to what I'm trying to accomplish. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

6. panzer06, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Isn't the init of the optional drive initiated before the OS loads? Perhaps in firmware right after (edit - it happens b4 the tone) the tone?

Cheers,

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can't be done my software. The optical drive itself does it when it get power. To make it stop, you have to physically disconnect the power from it.

8. Minding thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It'll take about 5 minutes to do.

Unplug power and leave it an hour or so (or discharge it with the power button).

The glass is held on with magnets. Suction cups top left and top right, pull gently forward (at the top) and then it'll lift out.

Take out the screws along the left and right of the LCD.

Lean the LCD forward carefully (no need to remove it) about 4-6 inches at the top, and wiggle out the optical drive cable (ODD is top right).

Then just reverse the above to put it back together (you may need to remove dust though.

10. Minding thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've watched a few videos for changing the hard drive; none for the CD drive. However someone from a different forum said the following:

"If you remove the optical drive you will have to also unplug it's temperature sensor, and then when all 3 fans run at full speed it will be worse than listening to the drives retries, so leave it in situ."

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't need to remove the optical drive, just unplug it.

12. Minding thread starter macrumors newbie