Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
I just upgraded from a MacBook to a MBP and on the MB there was a feature that I could turn off the track pad when a mouse was present. I don't see this anymore was it removed?

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
I just upgraded from a MacBook to a MBP and on the MB there was a feature that I could turn off the track pad when a mouse was present. I don't see this anymore was it removed?

I'm not sure what model you have, but I have an early 2008, and it's still there.

System Preferences>Keyboard&Mouse>Trackpad at the bottom

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
I'm not sure what model you have, but I have an early 2008, and it's still there.

Brand New MBP Alum

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Balty

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Canberra, Australia

I've got it on my early 2008 too.....
(Click to enlarge)
Ignore mouse.png

Check in both your Keyboard & Mouse and Trackpad preferences or type it into System Pref's search.....
When you type "turn off trackpad" in there on mine it comes up with the area where the option is.

It also says I don't have a trackpad installed on my computer!?!? :confused: :eek:
Picture 3.png

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
command+space -> type in terminal -> click the terminal icon -> type "defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0" without the quotes

get an error message?

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
command+space -> type in terminal -> click the terminal icon -> type "defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0" without the quotes

get an error message?

Yea that's what I done, except I c/p it then hit return, closed everything logged off then back on. Still track pad works. I am using a Logitech blue tooth mouse, I wonder if this works only with a usb mouse?

powersurge

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
As good as the trackpad is on the new Macbook Pro its still a trackpad. I really wish there was an option to turn mine off when I plug in my wireless mouse. I keep bumping the trackpad when I'm typing which is really annoying. :(

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
As good as the trackpad is on the new Macbook Pro its still a trackpad. I really wish there was an option to turn mine off when I plug in my wireless mouse. I keep bumping the trackpad when I'm typing which is really annoying. :(

Yea me too. I don't know what Apple was thinking with removing this option.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You must type in an odd manner, it never happens to me.

tkjune

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Yea that's what I done, except I c/p it then hit return, closed everything logged off then back on. Still track pad works. I am using a Logitech blue tooth mouse, I wonder if this works only with a usb mouse?

Hello RaceJunkie,

I think you should use this command
defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 1
pls note that the number is 1, not 0
I'm using Logitech bluetooth mouse too.
I think there's no difference between mbp you use and mb i use on this issue.

Good luck

RaceJunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
North Carolina
Hello RaceJunkie,

I think you should use this command
defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 1
pls note that the number is 1, not 0
I'm using Logitech bluetooth mouse too.
I think there's no difference between mbp you use and mb i use on this issue.

Good luck

Thanks but this still does not work for me..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.