Ignoring specific folders in Spotlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevearm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

iPhoto has duplicated all my photo folders, so that searching for "holiday 2009" comes out with two difference results. One in the original location I put the folder, and another inside the iPhoto package.

Is there any way of hiding a particular folder or telling it to ignore anything inside iPhoto's package? So that I only end up with one result.

Thanks

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

There's an ignore list in Spotlight's preference pane. I use it since I have the Xcode Tools installed, and many files associated with development come up when you search for things.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

That don't give you the option of hiding specific folders or packages though.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There is in the Privacy tab, not in the Search Results one. You can drag anything into there.

Attached Files:

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I can't seem to select the iPhoto library package, as it's half blanked out and unclickable :(

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can't add the iPhoto Library package with the + sign; open up a Finder window to ~/Pictures and drag the library into the exclusion list under the Privacy tab.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woohoo!

Thanks very much!!

One last question... if I go into iPhoto and check the 'Copy images to iPhoto library' option, even though I already have 20+ events, will it copy the images already in my library over? Or will it only do that for any future pics I add?

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I believe it will copy all pre-existing files located outside the iPhoto folder.