iGo My Way 2009 NA and WESTERN EUROPE Released!,

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Ron21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lamadude macrumors 6502

In the description on iTunes it says that they will provide free updates untill December 2010, not eternally. (at least it does in my description, which is in dutch)

2. Ron21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrected, Thanks.

I misread what they said.

"This product contains a lifetime license and a FREE subscription to quarterly map updates until December 2010"

3. lamadude macrumors 6502

Still, looks interesting, and cheaper than the other navigation app that was out there I think.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Thanks for posting this. This has some pretty interesting features. $79.99 seems fairly expected as a price for the GPS apps these days.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ah interesting, thanks for the heads up OP.

Now who's gonna take the first bite for the North America version? ;)

6. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

I'm very tempted...but I'm running out of space on my iPhone. I was hoping to save whatever I have left for TomTom! :D

I'm also not a big fan of the 3-D structures, but YMMV.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That seems to be the "next big thing" now. The newest hardware model from Navigon that was announced just before they decided to pull out of the US has the 3D structures and also 3D terrain on the display. I don't find that particularly interesting but someone must be interested in it or they wouldn't have gone to all that effort.

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

You can turn the 3D nav view off in Navigon, it's one of the options.

From just the description & screenshots of iGo My Way on iTunes, it does look to be interesting (not enough for me to buy another TBT app though). I like the look of their 3D interface.

One thing is that is encouraging though, is that the text on their street names is much easier to read with their use arrowed text boxes (vs. Navigon's white outlined overlayed text). Hopefully Navigon is taking notes!

It can only get better for all the TBT apps as they start seeing each other's implementation and features.

What will be also interesting is iGo's reviews about initial GPS signal lock (or loss while using).

9. Novidia macrumors newbie

Downloading Now i'll let you know...:eek:

10. Novidia macrumors newbie

:apple:
    works very well except.... no sounds or talking... i will reinstall and we will see..

Reinstalled and it works very well.... app has no text to voice...

11. Tiffy macrumors member

Could you please give us some details ?
    - Does it give the road numbers by voice ?
    - Does it have radar info ?
    - Does it have traffic info ?

If you have another GPS App (G-Map or Navigon), would you say that Igo is better ?

Thanks for your first feedback !

12. fredf macrumors 6502

The Hungarian video of the software demonstrated text to voice. Are you
    saying that it is NOT in the North American package?

I was about to pull the trigger on Navigon but reading about the company's software (Amigo) makes me think that this could be the best package currently available.

I really look forward to others' comments.

13. NotOwning macrumors member

If you could also let us know how it works with music, like when it gives a direction while music is playing does the music fade out to make the directions more clear, and can you change the song inside the app?

Are there multiple voices to choose from?

14. Novidia macrumors newbie

iGO NA is very fast on my 3gs and i must say that it appears to be very accurate here in northern IL. I like it much more than G-map east... The 3D maps are better than my BMW in car system and the software is much easer and faster to use. If their is text to voice i sure can't find it .. it just says turn left in 25 ft. with a tone. There is no real time traffic and you will need a car charger if you go on a trip .. battery goes fast.. All in all I like the app i just wish it had text to voice included.. otherwise it's the real deal. i will play around some more and give some updates later.

15. fredf macrumors 6502

From their website:

"GO My way™ 2009 North America edition guides you to your destination in the following languages: English, Canadian French, US and Mexican Spanish. "

They are clearly saying that there is text to voice in several languages, so hopefully you will find out how to get it going and let us know.

By the way, how is the GPS signal. Are you having any of the problems that were noted by others with Navigon?

16. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Text-to-speech and voice instructions are two separate things.

Voice instructions tell you what to do in a generic sense - "turn left in 400 feet" and so on.
    Text-to-speech takes road and place names and reads them - "turn left on King Street in 400 feet"

I would be surprised if this has text-to-speech.

EDIT: The screenshot clearly says "Street names are not announced"
    [​IMG]

17. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Lots of information on their website: http://www.igomyway.com

Complete user manual available here

I've got to say, it looks intriguing. Like the features such as automatic night mode, 3D elevation and landmarks, favorites and others..

Man, Tom Tom is losing a lot of potential sales.

(BTW I have no connection with these guys whatsoever).

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

So by the end of 2010 we have to pay for map updates for this app.. hmm

19. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I'd never even heard of this company until this AM and they have already exceeded what TomTom has on the iPhone.

20. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I don't know of any GPS system where the map updates are free. Of course, I have only looked at TomTom and Garmin.

21. fredf macrumors 6502

the manual

I had a skim of the manual and I like how it is written. Clear and to the point with excellent screen shots.

I haven't used either G-maps or Navigon (or this for that matter) but I certainly like the looks of iGo so far.

22. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

Should I . . . .?

Really tempted to purchase this.

I've noticed with other turn by turn navigation programs a delay in your position on the road to your location on the map.

With this being new I think I'll hang fire and read some reviews of people who have purchased it.

What the hell, I'll get it anyway (i'm so weak ;) )

All the very best people

Beef

23. NotOwning macrumors member

If you are seriously getting it, please post a review

I really want to know 2 things:

1. Obviously how well it works GPS wise

2. When giving directions and listening to music, does the music fade out?

24. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

In case you aren't following the iGO thread in the iPhone News Discussion.

iGO My Way 2009 - iGO amigo Company details