iGot my iMac!! (question about sleep)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by viceroy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. viceroy macrumors newbie

My last Mac was a PPC 6100/60 (1994!). After many years in the Windows wilderness I just got a new iMac (24 in 2.8 GHz upgrade). It's amazing! It found a wireless connection easily through my old D-link 614+ router and the speed is pretty good. When plugged into the router, it instantly found both Windows computers on the home network, one of which is an ancient machine running Windows 95! Lovin' it so far!:)

But I had a question about sleep mode. When I click the sleep button on the login view (after logging out), it does nothing for several seconds, then goes to sleep. Is this normal? Coming out of sleep is instant.

Also, is there a way to *quickly* just put the display to sleep without putting the whole computer to sleep? Like if I'm downloading something or playing music which should continue but not have the display on?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I believe you can setup a hot corner to sleep the display

3. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

You can also adjust the display sleep settings in System Preferences>Energy Saver. I've been using the new Aluminum since it's August 2007 release, the 24" 2.8gGhz version - it's an amazing machine. Enjoy! :)

4. je1ani macrumors 6502

Yup I use a hot corner. I setup an encoding process and use the hot corner to sleep the display but use the sys preferences to keep the cpu awake.

5. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I didn't know you could have the computer go to sleep and have it carry on with CPU processes. This will be great for those night time torrent downloads / dvd encodes.

Thanks for the tip :)

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, technically the computer isn't going to sleep, the backlight for the monitor is just turning off.

7. .michael macrumors regular

Off

There's a widget called 'Off' that can turn the display off, activate the screen saver, turn the machine off, or put it to sleep. It looks like a button with a power symbol on it. Use it all the time; :)

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You can't have the computer go to sleep and have it carry on with CPU processes... you put the display to sleep and keep the CPU running.

9. viceroy thread starter macrumors newbie

I must try the hot corner and the widget. The widget sounds like it gives you more options. In fact I didn't realize there were so many widgets waiting to be downloaded - kinda like for Google Desktop on Windows I guess!

But is this the widget you are talking about?
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/off.html
    But it says it's version 0.1 and was just released on Jan 4? Is this ...um...safe? I don't want anything to mess up my shiny new iMac!

10. gorby macrumors 6502

I use this widget that is a button that lets me sleep the display, use it daily.

I forget what it's called though