iGPS next? (after iPhone, iPT, and iPad)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Jan 17, 2011.

1. PracticalMac, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

First came iPhone.
    then iPod Touch (basically iPhone without the phone)
    last year iPad.

What's next?

My guess is iGPS.
    a 3.5~5.5" screen with all the GPS parts (including magnetometer and accelerometer), large speaker, and all the goodies a GPS today has, and bluetooth.

Possibly partner with Garmin for the GPS software.

edit:
    call it iAmHere. ;)

Edit 2: from below
    iPhone is expensive and small.
    iPad is too big.

iGPS will be something in between, have all the capabilities of the iPod Touch with iPhone GPS in size in between iPad and iPhone (and no vibrator).

SO, you have idea what Apple will make next?
    the iGPS was mainly tossing out just 1 idea.

2. Norinion macrumors regular

3. Usernames Suck macrumors member

+1
    Apple won't make more products than they have to. you have GPS on an ipad and iphone, why make a whole new product that only does GPS?

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The iPhone and the iPad can use GPS, they're not going to create a new device which has no way to expand itself, and it will probably be overpriced since it will basically do what others GPS do at three times the cost.

5. rikbrown macrumors regular

While I agree an "iGPS" is unlikely, the counter to your argument is that the iPod Touch doesn't provide anything the iPad and iPhone can't do :)

6. alangrehan macrumors regular

Why?

Just integrate an iGPS app into iOS 5 .... The iphone has all the hardware already!

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Changed my OP, fill out some reasons why, and that iGPS was a guess, looking for Apples NGT.

8. Usernames Suck macrumors member

If it will have all the capabilities of the ipod touch, why not include it in the ipod touch?
    I think it would be a pretty oddball product for Apple to make since it would be so close to the ipod touch, yet a separate product.

"While I agree an "iGPS" is unlikely, the counter to your argument is that the iPod Touch doesn't provide anything the iPad and iPhone can't do"

The ipod touch is a very portable media device. The iphone has the contract, and lots of people don't want an iphone as their phone. The ipad is a tablet, and not nearly as portable.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Speaking to the choir!

I got an iPT 4G, and it has basically made me drop the idea to get an iPhone 4! (for now ;) )

I was rather disappointed to find iPT did not have a magnetometer.