IGZO Display in rMBP 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 093246, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 093246 macrumors newbie

Is Apple going to release an update to 13" and 15" Macbook Pro in the first half of 2014 with IGZO screen?

I know that there is probably no confirmation to that and no one knows for sure, just rumors for now and speculation... However, I am more interested in what you think, is it plausible? Considering the new Haswell rMBP just started selling? But considering the possible yellow tint and IR problems, that could be the long awaited solution...

MacRumors: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/10/apple-to-adopt-igzo-displays-for-future-ipads-and-macbooks/

2. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I wouldn't hold my breath for IGZO until Q4 2014. At least.

3. Atomic Walrus, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

In the first half of 2014? No, I don't think so. I mean, unless you call June the first half (I'd call that the middle). It would be unprecedented for them to release a refresh to their MBP line less than 8 months after the previous one. People keep thinking that because there was a refresh this year in Feb that implies it would happen again, but look at Apple's refresh cycle:

-Feb 2011
    -Oct 2011 (+ 8 moths)
    -June 2012 (+8 months)
    -Feb 2013 (+8 months)
    -Oct 2013 (+8 months)

So the trends don't suggest an early 2014 refresh, they suggest a June 2014 refresh. Hopefully Broadwell and Maxwell will be ready to go around that time (lots of mixed reports, so it's entirely plausible that at least Broadwell won't be). Personally I do expect to see IGZO at that point; the early examinations of Dell's IGZO panels in their new laptops show them to be just as accurate and 20% brighter.

I see this late 2013 refresh as another early 2013: For most users this was a minor 8-10% spec bump (CPU and GPU) at best. There's the battery life improvement as well, but for many MBP users that's not particularly interesting. This would (IMO) point to the next refresh being a "major" update, which would indeed be the case if Apple can manage Broadwell CPUs, Maxwell dGPUs and IGZO panels in the same refresh.

If there really is an IGZO device coming in the first half of 2014 I'd assume it's the rumored 12" retina Air.

I'd agree that if Apple does break the 8 month cycle it will be to go the other way (later in 2014). No chance of a refresh in less than 8 months.

That said, based on their clock-like 8 month cycle I'd say that Apple will refresh in June if they can. In other words, if Intel isn't holding things up on Broadwell production.

If you're saying you don't think they'll use IGZO in their next refresh I think that's wrong. The panels are out there and being launched in quantities right now (not the right ratio, but these things come off a huge sheet of panel material and it's not hard to produce different aspect ratios). If Apple sticks to their cycle and waits 2 refreshes it'll be Feb 2015, and I have a hard time believing they'll be comfortable having the dimmest panels in the premium laptop field for 16 months when they started this whole premium display thing.

Apple could use the exact same panels Dell is using (the 3200x1800) cut for 16:10, which would make them 3200x2000. No need to alter the manufacturing process since you don't change the pixel density. You would need to find an extra 0.54" width, which you might be able to take from the bezel (approaching edge to edge display). Not saying they'll necessarily go this route, just pointing out that it's not all that difficult in theory.

4. Kariya, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I meant Broadwell and Maxwell are both looking to be delayed so...Q4 might be the likely date. I doubt IGZO will come in a Haswell refresh. Too early.

5. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Yeah, agreed there. Right now it sounds pretty unlikely that either chip will be available for Apple's traditional refresh. Personally I'd rather see them just skip a June refresh and launch both of those as soon as possible instead of doing another spec bump in June and waiting until Feb 2015.

Haven't there been rumors that Cook is trying to shake up the normal release cycles anyway? I keep hearing that as the explanation for everything being launched at the end of the year this time around.

6. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

IGZO screens currently have really bad image retention, and Broadwells won't be available until Q4 of 2014 due to delays.

It's extremely unlikely that Apple would choose to refresh their Macbook Pro Retinas in Q2 2014 with the same generation of processors, using displays that have worse image retention than the LGs they currently use.

They'll wait until Broadwell is ready. By then, IGZO's flaws will have been ironed out.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Do you have some links for the IGZO IR issue? I haven't seen anything about that. Going to go do some searching.

I do think could be correct on the timing. This would also make the gap between rMBP introduction and its first major overhaul nearly 2 years, which would be consistent with Apple's refresh cycles (iP4, 4s, 5... iPad 2, retina, retina refresh, air).

New laptops for the holidays probably isn't a bad strategy anyway. I think we could see the supposed 12" retina Air (maybe getting to be the IGZO early adopter/guinea pig) in the summer, again targeting the back to school sales.

8. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

Here's a good source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1672360

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Sad, isn't it?

For me this is a simple case of a technology whose demands exceed the limitations of current manufacturing processes. The current retina displays have been in production for over 18 months now, and they're still plagued with significant QC issues as far as I can tell.

I think a lot of us wanted to believe IGZO might possibly leapfrog over the common issues of IPS displays, but it seems they are still subject to the same manufacturing "bottlenecks" we've been dealing with for the past few years.

Not surprising Apple chose not to push for IGZO in the newest MBPs after the IR debacle of the 2012 LG RetinaBooks... There would have been riots! ;)

10. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Unlike the refresh in Q1 2013?

11. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

That refresh, like the one upcoming in Q1 2014, would have the same generation of screens.

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Not sure why people are dying for IGZO... look at the new retina mini issues. I'd skip and wait an extra year or two before getting one of those.

13. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

Will the June refreshed rmbp be 4k2k Igzo or no? How is likely?
    I want update my rMBP only for a 4k screen

14. mscice macrumors regular

I believe we will see IGZO first in the 12" macbook then 13" and 15" will come around when broadwell is out ...
    gonna be weird having 12" 13" 15" laptops ...

maybe they will get rid of 13 and 15 and make it 14" ??

15. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

It will be 4k?

16. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

If IGZO and Broadwell appear it's more likely to be in June-October '14 than in any other date. Doesn't make any sense for Apple to release the computer sooner than that.
    Plus, since this year has pretty much been evolutionary in the rMBPs I guess next year is going to be a lot more interesting.

EDIT: It would also be nice to see yet another resolution bump, but I wouldn't be too confident on that. And a resolution bump in the rMBPs will probably mean the same thing in the iPad Air...