iPad IGZO or a-Si With White LED's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dantay, Nov 21, 2013.

1. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Hi guys,

I was looking again at DisplayMates reviews of the iPad Air and Retina Mini and wondered if the clear divide between good screens and bad screens could be as simple as the tech used? So could it be the IGZO panels are all duff and the a-Si panels with white LED's used to fill the short-fall in IGZO production are the ones that don't exhibit problems?

My first Air was pink and yellow with the spine shadow, however my replacement was perfect with no spine shadow or discoloration.

I had a nightmare with several iPad 3 returns when they were launched with discolored screens so really feel for the people stuck in a returns loop looking for a decent panel.

2. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Well it looks like you were right:

http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Right about what? Did you even read the OP's question? Why are you linking to the article he's clearly already seen? He's not asking if there are two different display technologies being used. The article confirms nothing about there being a difference in quality in the two technologies, which is what the OP is hypothesizing about, only that there are two technologies being used simultaneously.

To the OP, it's actually not clear in the article that the two technologies are both being used in one model of ipad. Specifically, the article states "This has created a production problem where Apple is using both IGZO and a-Si displays in the current iPads.". This doesn't mention which iPad. iFixit's breakdown of the Air reported an IGZO panel, but I have seen no confirmation of IGZO in the rMini. Has anyone else? It could be that Apple is still using a-Si in the Mini and that only the Air is using IGZO.

4. jwblue17 macrumors newbie

Logically it can not be IGZO.

It weighs more and is thicker than its predecessor.

I am not an expert but aren't thinner and lighter a benefit with IGZO screens.

5. mcdj, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The thickness and weight comes from the bigger battery required to drive all the extra pixels of a retina screen compared to a non retina Mini. But without IGZO, either the battery would be even bigger, or they would have to use more efficient LEDs, which is exactly what the article is saying they are doing.

Either way, retina requires more power, thus a bigger battery, thicker case, and more weight over the Mini 1.