IGZO v. Discrete Graphics (real poll)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qaanol, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Would you rather have Iris Pro + IGZO, or 750M + the current screen?

1. IGZO + HD5200 "Iris Pro"

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Current IPS screen + GT 750M + HD4600

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

If you had to choose between IGZO vs. Discrete Graphics, which would you choose?

1. IGZO screen + HD5200 "Iris Pro" integrated graphics
    Lower power consumption from IGZO
    Superior day-to-day graphics from HD5200
    Slightly higher day-to-day power consumption from HD5200
    Slightly worse viewing angles
    Improved OpenCL performance
    Possibly decreased OpenGL performance (may depend on drivers)
    L4 cache

2. Current IPS retina screen + GT750M discrete graphics + HD4600 integrated graphics
    Higher frame rates in games
    Inferior day-to-day graphics from HD4600
    Slightly lower day-to-day power consumption from HD4600
    Higher power consumption at heavy graphics loads
    Possibly increased OpenGL performance
    CUDA
    DDR5 VRAM

Assume the prices and screen resolutions are equal.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm always amused by arrogant pollsters that forget there is a 13" model of the MBP and simply assume that moniker is synonymous with the 15" version :D.

Some may say that option 1 is the only thing even viable for the MBP13 (though highly unlikely) whereas option 2 might be a BTO option for the MBP15. (but I think the HD4600 is an insult).

As it stands, your 2 options basically offer a choice between:

1.) Mobility (battery life) and...
    2.) Power

Perhaps that would have been a better poll?

Or...

Maybe you're asking if a dGPU is what people want?

3. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

4. Starfyre, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Poll would make more sense if the resolutions were higher for IGZO than the IPS.

5. tankbig macrumors newbie

sounds good

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    What Benefits would an IGZO give over the current IPS? The rMBP screen is already breathtaking! Now 4k would be a welcome benefit

7. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

I took the liberty to fix some information for you. It'll also explain to those who are confused as to why the poll shows TWICE the vote for 750M + current IPS as of this post. (20 to 10)

Apple won't be able to pull this one past its customers who are fully informed about this. Heck, even Apple knows better than to compare HD 5200 against 750M.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

What are the "2 features" you mention?

Also, those "pros" of the integrated Iris Pro dwarf the advantages to the Dedicated Card as you can get higher FPS with the Dedicated without using the Integrated anyway in the latter.

The reason I suspect for twice the vote, is that people just dont care about battery life as much as having the power with the dedicated graphics card, which makes since for the 15 incher, which is more about power than battery. Even still, I think Apple should make sure the battery is greater or equal to the 13 hours on the Dell XPS 15.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't need to match the battery life of the XPS. Besides, there are bigger barriers to having more battery life that the XPS doesn't have to worry about. If Apple couldn't advertise 13 hours on the MBA, they certainly aren't going to reach that with the Pro. I'm expecting 10 hours or so.

But I'd take IGZO over a dGPU easily.

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

In Photoshop CS6, those are 2 Blur Filters (I'm counting this as 1 feature since both are part of a set) and Tilt/Shift.

There are far more features that require OpenGL, and many of them actually require 512MB video RAM, which Iris Pro does not have.

See more information here:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

And battery life is of course not a main concern. It was never a concern when MacBooks used to last like 5-6 hours at MOST with dual-core chips, and it's not a concern now.

Power has always been a concern, though. Make a poll for the 13" rMBP between having a quad-core CPU but with 7 hours of battery life, and a dual-core CPU with 12 hours of battery life. I'm sure you'll find far more people wanting the quad-core chip.

Dell can advertise 13 hours of battery life on the XPS 15 when on light workload. It means little. A machine that powerful would be constantly pushed while it's in use, and you can bet that it gets nowhere near that 13-hour estimate under actual use.

If battery life was a concern, I'm sure you can turn to the MacBook Air for that. It's pretty much unmatched in the industry right now.