Igzo?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lochmosnter, Oct 17, 2012.

1. lochmosnter macrumors newbie

If the iPad mini does indeed use Sharp's IGZO panels...how exactly does this work. What I mean is, unless Sharp becomes the only LCD panel supplier to Ipad mini (which also does not seem the case according to rumors about other companies ramping up 7 inch panel production), will they have an IGZO Ipad and a non-IGZO Ipad? Will these actually end up being separate models, with the most expensive one being the IGZO version?

Anyone have educated guesses about this? They couldn't possibly sell and IGZO ipad mini and a non-IGZO ipad mini at the same price, could they?

2. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

I can tell you in less than a week!

Hope you can wait!

3. sineplex macrumors 6502

it would be great to have 2x battery life with the IGZO but the leaks show the panel is manufactured by LG. You'll know in 5 Days

4. Scott2345 macrumors regular

I think we will find out sooner, as the date gets closer I'm sure more images and specs will be leaked.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If they do use IGZO displays, I think they would all have to use them. Otherwise there would be big variations in battery life from unit to unit.

I don't expect that Apple will actually come out and say that they're using IGZO even if they are, they'll just mention how great the battery life is in such a small form factor.

6. Zethca macrumors regular

IGZO is licensed to at least one manufacturer besides Sharp so it's absolutely a possibility.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Would it really be that big a deal? The Mini seems to appeal to two separate markets. Those looking for cheap cheap cheap and those looking for a powerful but smaller iPad.

So why not something like this:

8GB/16GB
    Standard 1024x768 Panel
    A5 Chip
    10hr battery
    $199-299

32GB/64GB
    IGZO Panel
    A5X Chip
    8hr battery
    $449/549

I think that most people looking at the higher capacity ones arent worrying as much about price as they are about getting a smaller, yet powerful, iPad 3 so it would seem to satisfy everyone.

8. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Well...I certainly don't think its going to be a very revolutionary device hardware wise

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

I don't think sharp would be yapping there mouth and releasing a tablet with the new screen if apple was coming out with one

Apple would tell them to STF•U and dont release **** until the mini comes out

So there for the iPad mini does not have the new igzo screen