iHate Windows!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iParis, Sep 24, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm about to throw my laptop out the windows!
    Fu*** Vista!
    Fu*** Microsoft.
    At least my laptop isn't made by Dell.
    It's an HP but unfortunately runs Vista.
    And another thing that sucks about my computer is it only has 1GB of ram but Vista takes at least 2GBs of RAM to run smoothly.
    I really wish I had the money to get a Mac right now.

So should I just get a low end Mac Mini in few months after the upgrade?
    Hopefully after the upgrade will offer a low end model with a 120GB hard drive, superdrive, and maybe 2GB's of ram.
    I won't have to buy a monitor because my TV doubles as a computer monitor.
    OR...
    Should I wait several months until I have enough money for the soon to come MacBook upgrade?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd wait for the MacBook, build it with a large drive and install XP on one partition. Thankfully you'll never have to put up with Vista again :)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So you're running Vista on an under-spec machine - as you rightly say 1GB won't cut it, let's not pretend Leopard would be all that with 1GB either.

Upgrade your RAM for peanuts until you can afford a new Mac.

:confused:

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have to say that people who complain about Windows Vista confuse me. Yes, it takes a little bit of getting used to but since I started using it I've had no major problems whatsoever. I've never had my computer lock up on me, I've never had any difficulties finding software that works with it and I've never had to format the machine and reinstall the OS.

I wish I could say the same about my Macs.

So either you're doing something horrifically wrong or I'm doing something perfectly right. I have no idea which it is, but I know one thing for sure - Windows Vista works great.

5. mondesi43 macrumors regular

I think you're lucky, and possibly perfect. ;) Vista worked well for a couple of months, I had nothing bad to say about it. Then the laptop started to sound like a jet engine when we'd try to open programs. Shut down, reinstal, tried everything.

I got sick of it, bought an iMac a little over a year ago. 1 or 2 slight hiccups, no show stoppers. I only use the lap top to try and help my wife figure stuff out,

Now my wife is getting tired of it. She is asking me to do stuff for her on the iMac and asking why it looks so simple. It's too bad she's 'afraid' of change when it comes to technology. (We just got iPhones 2 days ago and she is warming up to it amazingly fast) Hopefully we'll have a new macbook before the holidays.

6. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I was looking to switch in similar circumstances to yourself. I was thinking of the entry-level Mini, but realised it didn't have a DVD burner, so I went for the £500 one. Then I wanted to upgrade the RAM but was loathe to do it myself so I was going to do it as a BTO option. Then I really wanted the Apple keyboard (not included). Then my monitor started to die :rolleyes:

By the time I'd priced everything, it was only £50-ish more to get the entry-level iMac.

So if you've not got a monitor, keyboard and mouse, that might be something to bear in mind. Plus, as you say, no-one really knows what the future holds for the Mini- redesign? Spec bump? End of life?

7. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Hehe.

8. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I second that motion. Im running it on an old dimension 3000 with 1.5GB of ram, and it can run the whole adobe suite simultaneously without any lag or flaws.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

10. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I had my MBP at the beach last year and my aunt needed to use it for something and behaved as if a stray click would destroy the computer. Extremely timid.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never had such luck with Vista. I might move to it one day but the glaringly bad legacy compatibility turns me away. I'd still like to use my pre-XP games and software. Most of which didn't work on Vista.

I'm also not willing to sacrifice any amount of FPS in games when I see no benefit of XP over Vista.

12. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Thanks for you replies.
    Actually, my laptop ran Vista fine for over 6 months, kinda like how the OP was saying.
    Then it started dying and getting slower and slower.
    Now my input port for the power supply doesn't even work!!! :eek::eek:
    So now I have to charge my battery my mom's computer switch it out every hour and a half - two hours.
    Wel, one of the batteries runs fine, and the other had started to decay and only last an your max.
    And I still have to take into consideration that my compupter takes about 20 minutes to boot up smoothly and I have to go into the Task Manager and shut down a lot of ***** that runs on start up.
    So actualy, I end up geting about 45 - 90 minutes of smooth computer use, that's with the chance that it's not going to slow down and lagg but those odds are slim.
    And like now mine sounds like a jet when opening up a program, as another poster has started, and often when just sitting there.

13. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

You already stated the solution to your problem... Buy another gig... Ram is cheap.

14. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I would do that, but as I stated in my previous post (just above your'), I said that my computer's input power supply is broken so I have to charge my battery with my mom's computer and I don't feel like paying $150 fix it.
    And if I'm going to get a Mac Mini or MacBook in a few months I'm not gonna bother upgrading the ram (maybe though, I'll have to see about that).

At last I have an old desktop PC that has XP on but that only has 256MB of ram but it's not bad enough to trash because it has a 200GB hard drive which is way more than my laptop.
    So I might just upgrade the ram on that.
    The only downside with taht is my the monitor for it looks like it was made in 1995! :eek:

15. shizzlegtx macrumors member

This.

16. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

"This???"
    What kind of a reply is that?

17. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Yes, Vista requires 2gb RAM -- provided you make it look like Vista.

Right-click the desktop, select Personalize, then Theme. Select Windows Classic and Apply.

It won't look shiny and see-through and hog memory resources, but hey! You'll have a functional computer.

You might wanna do a ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the Task Manager and see what crapware is running in the background, too. Use Process Library to discover what everything is.

18. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

My gaming PC runs Vista; I haven't had any problems with it either. Although, I still prefer Macs. :)

19. iAthena macrumors regular

That's my plan.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Is the title to this thread a bit juvenile or is that just me?

21. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what I currently do.
    It does help but not by a whole lot.

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

One thing that WILL help, is get a video card, at least 128mb and let it handle the video requirements. If your using onboard mem for both, you have a bit less than the full GB of ram.

23. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I had similar issues with my year old HP laptop running Vista to the OP. At 6 months the boot drive died and HP made it such a pain to get a replacement and the quirks of Vista just annoy me so much sometimes. My bad Vista experience isn't because of my machine because it is a fairly high end with 2.0 Core 2 Duo and 4 gb of Ram. I understand how the OP feels completely. After all of it's development time you would think Vista would be better than it is.

Luckily I have an eMac as a personal machine and a new iMac as a family computer to use and I also installed Leopard on my HP just for fun so that I don't have to put up with Vista all of the time. Granted Leopard isn't perfect but it doesn't have as many annoying quirks as Vista does.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While vista in no way deserves the sheer amount of baseless hate i see people put towards it, it is in my experience, far from a great product. My judgement, acceptable.

Specs:

AMD Turion63 dual core
    150GB hard drive
    2 GB RAM

my computer runs ok, but I constantly have problems when resuming ANYTHING from when i close the lid. It just freezes up whatever program I'm running. I have explorer crash at least (no exaggeration, i had a tally going for a while) 5 times daily. When it does crash it requires a full reboot if i feel like having control over my volume, otherwise it resumes after a short 5 second pause, which isnt terrible, but considering it shouldnt be crashing for merely switching program tabs in the taskbar, it gets VERY annoying.

Simply put, its an alright OS but its the many LITTLE things that make me long to finally get hired so I can save up for a new macbook and try my hand at OSX.

25. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've had very similar problems. While I don't share your opinion of it running okay generally (far from it) I've had lots of trouble with programs toggling from one to the next and, as you say, resuming. It seems like after resuming they'd always run noticeably slower.