iHDD Review

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KlytusLord, Sep 2, 2011.

1. KlytusLord, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hi all, I just purchased the iHDD enclosure, and I thought I would share my thoughts with you.

The enclosure is tool-free and arrives already separated into its two halves. Inserting a 2.5" drive is simple; you simply connect the eSATA and power plugs and sit the drive down on the bottom half of the enclosure. The top half snaps onto the bottom, holding the drive snuggly in place.

I don't know how easy it is to open the enclosure again, as I have not tried this. There are no clear notches from where to pry open the two halves again, so it may get scratched if one tries to replace the drive inside.

The lit Apple logo is a nice cosmetic touch. It lights up anytime the drive has power. it is not an activity indicator.

I installed a 500GB drive on my iHDD and have been using it as a Time Machine drive for several days now. Performance has been as expected, neither faster nor slower than anything else.

The newest version of this enclosure supports only USB 2.0 (the previous version supported both, USB 2.0 and USB 1.1) One can only hope we get a Thunderbolt version in the future.

Overall, I am very happy with the iHDD enclosure. It is no more expensive than regular high quality enclosures ($30) and it is nice to have something that fits the aesthetics of the Mac lineup.

[Edit] I uploaded 3 images to this review, but for some reason they are not showing up now.

2. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not to be critical, but you should re-take the pics again with the flash off.

It looks pretty nice, kinda like an iPhone4. Does it have the ability to plug in a power plug? Some 2.5" drives need a little more power than a USB port can provide.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Looks cool, but $30 for an enclosure for a drive is kind of steep considering you can get a brand new portable drive for about $50 now. But I guess if you have some old drives lying around, it's okay.

5. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

I should have mentioned it! There is a single USB cable, which also provides the power. So, you only need one available USB port to run it; perfect for the Air.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Thanks for the awesome review! Where did you purchase it from? Any suggestions would be great.

7. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. Skellers macrumors newbie

Hi,

Which hard disk are you using in the enclosure? I really fancy one of these and I have a spare Seagate 2.5" HDD, but the advertised dimensions seem a little small to fit my HDD into from what I can tell. Would be interested to know.

Thanks.

10. ToddJ macrumors 6502

It does looks nice. On the pics i first saw of it, it looked more curve....like the magic mouse does.....i wish they had one more like that....

11. visual macrumors newbie

Nice, nothing showing up on UK eBay yet though :-(