IKEA Grono OR Dioder?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apersianboyCOM, Feb 10, 2009.

1. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I'm going to be receiving my first ever Mac soon, and I'm trying to complete my setup with lighting arrangements.

I'm torn between whether to get 2 Grono lamps (one either side of desk), or whether to get the Dioder multicolour light strips to put on the back of my desk for an ambient light!

Grono:
    [​IMG]

Dioder:
    [​IMG]

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Please post pics of your setups if you have the above mentioned lights to help with my decision!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They're both very overpriced and complete rip offs, however i'd recommend the dioder set, otherwise you'll get reflections on your screen from the Grono lamps which could be irritating.

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

lol i was going to say the same thing but didn't want to seem rude :p

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'll probably pick up some DIODER, as i like the look of them, and its cheap compared to the A/V Dedicated Stuff, yet still quite alot...

Links to Cheaper Alternatives?

6. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

how is £3 expensive???? (for the lamp) although the dioder isnt as cheap, its hardly what i would call expensive at £22 a pop. i suggest you go for ambient lighting as the iMac it self will give out plenty of light infront of you.

if you want an interesting lamp for somewhere else, got to Homebase and under small lamps there is one which you touch anywhere on the lamp to switch it on, and it has three light settings:-D for about £10 its quite good aswell

lol they use the old macbook pro as part of the computer soltuion :p
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces

7. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone got any pics of the dioder/grono in their setups?

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The DIODER is quite expensive as i would need 3 packs for my TV Setup atleast, then 2 Packs for my Mac Setup.

Thats £222 :(

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

If i was him, ill just go to my local chinatown street and buy one of these:

[​IMG]

For .50 cents.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

ooo look at you mr big spender, not all of us have £22 lying around, and i'd like to point out that £22 is a lot for some stupid christmas lights, hell you feed 10 starving African children for a month on that much.

11. MidtownFreak macrumors newbie

Considering the fact that you've spent the equivalent of $2000 USD on a bunch of electrical rubbish you call a "MacBook Pro" that could feed 1,000 children for a month (by your estimates), I would rethink your argument.

And DIODER is an LED-based lighting solution, not incandescent christmas lights which use 3 times the power and produce unnecessary heat. I've personally been using DIODER for over a year now as light installments for my MALM bed; it's definitely impressive and quite the conversation piece. :)