Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
So after you all posted pics of yours, I really liked how simple it was and how affordable it is so I thought I would order one. Nearest IKEA is 3.5 hours away.

It was all good until it calculated the shipping. Get real, IKEA. It would cost me less to rent a truck from Enterprise, drive to Round Rock, stay the night in a hotel, buy the desk, and drive back home. :eek:

That's insane!!!

Here is my new setup:

photo.jpg

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Wondering if anyone is concerned with the max load of 66lbs for this desk? I would like to purchase one, but most likely I'll have to keep my mac pro off this desk for fear of collapsing.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
@capps:

Well they're shipping you furniture. Sure, it's not built, but it's not unreasonable for the shipping to be expensive. Yes, that calculated shipping cost is really really really high (too high?), but how much do you think shipping should cost? If I was allowed to guess before seeing this thread, I would have guessed $200 for the Mikael. They run the risk of your stuff being one of the only things to ship to your area.

capps

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
@capps:

Well they're shipping you furniture. Sure, it's not built, but it's not unreasonable for the shipping to be expensive. Yes, that calculated shipping cost is really really really high (too high?), but how much do you think shipping should cost? If I was allowed to guess before seeing this thread, I would have guessed $200 for the Mikael. They run the risk of your stuff being one of the only things to ship to your area.

Based off of the weight and dimensions on IKEA-US.com, I could go to Round Rock, purchase the desk, drive to UPS and ship it to myself for about $80, which would be UPS ground... but because Round Rock is only 3.5 hours away, I would get it in 1-2 days.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
So after you all posted pics of yours, I really liked how simple it was and how affordable it is so I thought I would order one. Nearest IKEA is 3.5 hours away.

It was all good until it calculated the shipping. Get real, IKEA. It would cost me less to rent a truck from Enterprise, drive to Round Rock, stay the night in a hotel, buy the desk, and drive back home. :eek:

Thats the one problem with IKEA! I dont understand why it costs so much. Shipping for my area just got cheaper within the year. (down to $50 from the previous $350.) And that was for a little cabinet thing. We ended up driving the 3 hours anyways because the $50 was gas money alone plus we could pick up a lot more stuff.

jaaaack

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
In my area Ikea charges a flat $40 for delivery. At least i have something to rejoice about living on this small island.

capps

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
I am going to make the trip to IKEA tomorrow, but I need your help.

If you own a MIKAEL desk, how big is the box? We only have a VW Passat, so we'll need to borrow and/or rent a car for the trip. Would the box fit into the back of a Saturn Vue or something like that? Keep in mind that we cannot fold down the back seats because my kids will be sitting there.

I would hate to make the trip only to get there and find that the box is huge and doesn't fit in my car. I also don't really want to rent a U-Haul.

capps

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008

You would think that would help, but it doesn't... because I don't know the dimensions of the SUV, as I haven't rented it yet. Even so, that is the dimensions of the actual desk, not the box that it comes in.

I was more so wanting responses like:

"I bought this desk and brought it home in a (insert type of vehicle here.) and didn't have any problems."

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am going to make the trip to IKEA tomorrow, but I need your help.

If you own a MIKAEL desk, how big is the box? We only have a VW Passat, so we'll need to borrow and/or rent a car for the trip. Would the box fit into the back of a Saturn Vue or something like that? Keep in mind that we cannot fold down the back seats because my kids will be sitting there.

I would hate to make the trip only to get there and find that the box is huge and doesn't fit in my car. I also don't really want to rent a U-Haul.

Honestly, people like you are the reason Ikea is halfway fun. I love watching people sit at the loading bay and try to strategize how to fit an entire room of furniture in their civic. :D

Then again people like me are laughed at with trucks when we're hauling something in the rain. :(

I am thinking the desk should fit if you have fold down seats.

Edit: Ikea boxing is generally not too much larger than the actual largest piece of the puzzle you have to put together. Therefore, my suspicion is that you'll be fine.

ErEn

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Hello :) I've found this thread on google and I hope You can help me. I guess this is the only forum about IKEA mikael boards ;) so can any of You guys measure the space in the middle part of the upper section (the part where the screen can go , callmemike20 has his laptop there on photo)

I have to buy a new screen and I wonder if wide 22'' fit there :)
My mikael board is now more then 300km away so I can't do it myself.

Sorry for my bad english

Cheers
Jacob

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you talking about the desk WITH the hutch?
No a 22" display will be too tall.

Freemaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
I'm thinking about buying this desk aswell, but it's only 2.5 ft tall, it seems like that would be really small for some reason for a desk..?
how is it?
40904_PE135015_S3.jpg

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm thinking about buying this desk aswell, but it's only 2.5 ft tall, it seems like that would be really small for some reason for a desk..?
how is it?
If you read the thread, your question has already been answered by several, including with pics.

melissarae

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
tampa, florida
we bought this desk along with the filing cabinet that goes with it... and the glass top.... we LOVE it... except is anyone else annoyed at the fact that the black/brown has white accents?

ErEn

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I'm sure that 22'' won't be too tall, I'm just worried about the width.
Unfortunately I have to buy the display before I'll be able to check my desk

So if any of You have easy acces to the desk with the hutch (or howsoever this upper part is called) can You please measure the width of the space in the middle part

That would really save my day :)

ErEn

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
how is it?
40904_PE135015_S3.jpg

It's just perfect for office work, higher desk tend to be less comfortable

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
The desk is definitely not ergonomically correct. It's too tall to be used with my aeron chair. Drives me nuts! I guess I can just cut it down...if only I had a table saw!

Lewis22

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
southwest MI
524mm (20 5/8") Width of opening.

I am in a similar boat. We got the desk with upper part, got it all set up and I was blown away at how perfectly my Gateway HD2200 22" fit it the middle section.
... and then my Gateway died.
I am now shopping for another display that will fit.

To answer your question - 20 5/8" (524mm) is the width of the middle opening.

I was surprised to discover a 21.5" Dell display wouldn't fit because they use 16:9 aspect ratio and must have a slightly larger bezel.
But if you check the physical dimensions and they are 20.5" or smaller you should be fine and have a fabulous looking set-up.

If I find a photo of it set up with the 22" display I'll try to post it.

Hello :) I've found this thread on google and I hope You can help me. I guess this is the only forum about IKEA mikael boards ;) so can any of You guys measure the space in the middle part of the upper section (the part where the screen can go , callmemike20 has his laptop there on photo)

I have to buy a new screen and I wonder if wide 22'' fit there :)
My mikael board is now more then 300km away so I can't do it myself.

Sorry for my bad english

Cheers
Jacob

Thanks
Lewis22

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Ikea definitely rips some people off on the shipping. I order a few small desk accessory items several months ago to give to a guy headed to college and the shipping was $35 and the total of the items was ~$20. But, that's not the point of my post...

Go to eBay and search "Ikea Mikael" and check the results. You will find sellers have the items you may be looking for with MUCH more reasonable shipping fees. Just a suggestion...worth a shot, eh? :)

a*ho

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
i've had my desk for a couple of months now and its a good size desk..not too big and not too small... doesn't hurt your pockets either bout 180 for the desk shelve and the glass top.. it was a pain trying to get the glass. Every single time I went it was sold out.

too bad they didn't make it in medium brown :mad:

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Hey guys...

I am really thinking about getting this desk, I just wanted to know a couple of things first.

The room I am thinking about putting the desk into - I would love to have the desk flush up against the wall. I noticed there are no holes for wires or anything. I understand I can just back the desk off the wall a little bit - the I feel two holes in opposite corners would make everything look a lot neater.

Has anyone tried drilling holes into the desk and then finishing off with caps from Staples or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.