Ikea people - Lend me your brains!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nullx86, Mar 22, 2010.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ok, I seem to be a huge noob at this. Im trying to figure out what desk combo to get and I just cannot seem to do it. I managed to pick out a combonation of Vika tables, but I wanted to try to go for a Galant, but every time I try to find a combo I fail. I don't know, maybe I'm just exhausted and cant think straight, but regardless, I'm asking for some input and ideas here. The attached pic is a very rough idea (I'm not much of an artist) of what I need/want, along with minimum and maximum measurements. What I'm aiming for is going to be a L desk that I can put my 24" iMac, 19" Screen, 15" screen, 15" laptop, and 26" TV (CRT) on. I havent had much luck with finding a decent L desk that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg or that wont break when I put something heavy on it (ie, CRT-based TV). So Ikea people of MR, ideas, tips and tricks?

Thanks, null_x86

Attached Files:

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Looks like a Galant will do well for you, you don't need to pick out a combo, you can just put the pieces together and see what measurements you need, and then buy the pieces like that--it's all modular.

Not sure if this helped you out at all.

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

The Galant is a great system...has tons of attachments...check mine out...you can put attachments at either end of the "L"...riser stands for monitors, etc.

Cheers.

-J.-

Attached Files:

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

OK here's a brain and here's an allen wrench to assemble it:D

5. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Well that helps a bit, I wasnt sure if it was modular or not, but that explains it. If I got the standard corner piece with legs, and got the tables, I can still use the whole frame right? Or do they use their own frame?

Smart ass :D

6. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Every piece comes with a frame that can be attached to other frames, or capped off. You need to buy the legs separately and place them yourself, though.

7. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Well correct me if I am wrong here, but I can get the main corner part (that comes with legs) and the extension tops and use the same legs, just in the appropriate places for the extended set up right?

8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Each extension has a place where you can attach legs, so you would just attach them on your end panel (unless it's too long, in which case you might need more).

If you're going to use a corner piece, you'll likely need 6 I or 3 T legs. They just fit on each end of the set.

Hah, not sure if that came out clearly, but it made sense to me :p

9. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Yeah that made sense. I think I am starting to get it :p

Ok, one more thing, the extension pieces - are they only set to go at one end, or are they "universal"? I see that there are different ones on the website, but idk if they are only for one side or not :p

10. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Each extension piece (the rectangle ones) fits on both ways. It'll fit on the narrow edge of the return (and be longer) and it will also fit on the fat edge (and will extend a shorter distance). The semi-circular and rounded extensions do matter, though, as they won't fit on the opposite side.

11. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

awesome :D alrighty, well hopefully I can get a good list going and stay under $350.

How sturdy are the A legs?

12. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I have the A legs myself, and they're actually really sturdy (I didn't get the T- legs because it seemed easier to tip).

My setup has the return, and one extension and one semicircle on each end, and it's pretty sturdy. I have also sat on top of the desk (don't recommend doing this, hah) and it's taken the weight, so stability isn't really an issue either.

It's a great desk, just remember that it looks a lot smaller in the showroom than it does in your office :p

13. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Awesome. The return? You mean the middle (corner piece?)?

As far as weight goes, you think it will hold with a 24" iMac (2009), 19" & 15" screens, 15" laptop and a 26" CRT style TV? The TV is kinda heavy, thats my only major concern, I know everything else wont affect the weight.

14. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

The return is the L piece, corner piece, whatever you want to call it.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it will hold that all, the steel frame that holds it up is pretty sturdy. If you're in doubt about something heavy, you can put it directly above the legs on the end to help with the weight.

I'll post a pic of my setup and what I've got on it if you're interested.

15. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Please do (post the pic). I could definitely use that as a guide, if you will. Well I just remeasured my room, and I think I have it down. I can do 94.5x78.75, which is one return, and two extensions. Any idea on how many legs? I have 5 in the cart right now (online, just to see a running total, going to drive to get them). I was thinking (by other pics I've seen) two on each of the extensions, and one in the corner on the return. Ideas/Suggestions?

16. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

You'll need six A-legs, they go in pairs of two. You'll want the extra one on the corner for stability, it won't be as strong with only one.

Here's my current setup, excuse the mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Hey, just saw that in Messy Desks :p

ok, so you have 2 legs on each round piece (extensions), and two on the return? I'm assuming that you have those two turned, so they each face towards one of the extensions?

EDIT: Alrighty, I priced a Galant and a Vika... The Galant is $340, The Vika is $179. I am assuming that the Vika has no frame, where the Galant does. I know the Vika is a little bit more thicker then the Galant. Any ideas on these two? I like the Galant (its minimalistic, and is rounded) and I like the Vika (its a little thicker then the Galant, and a lot less in price), but I want an opinion between the two.

18. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Actually, they're facing the same direction, parallel to the legs on the wide side of the desk. You can't really see it in the pic because the chair is in the way.

I don't know about the Vika but if it's thick, it's probably hollow wood (if it's modular). I'm pretty happy with my Galant.