Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I know that there was a previous thread about the use of iKlean, but I'm unable to find it, even with a search, so I apologize for starting another one.

iKlean does not contain alcohol or ammonia, so it has generally been considered safe for cleaning the iphone, but the Users Guide states that with the 3Gs which has an "oleophobic coating on the screen" only a lint-free cloth should be used. The former thread on iKlean implied that the oleophobic element was in, not on, the screen, so it would be safe to use iKlean, but the wording of the guide indicates that the coating is external.

Any thoughts on using iKlean for the 3Gs :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know that there was a previous thread about the use of iKlean, but I'm unable to find it, even with a search, so I apologize for starting another one.

iKlean does not contain alcohol or ammonia, so it has generally been considered safe for cleaning the iphone, but the Users Guide states that with the 3Gs which has an "oleophobic coating on the screen" only a lint-free cloth should be used. The former thread on iKlean implied that the oleophobic element was in, not on, the screen, so it would be safe to use iKlean, but the wording of the guide indicates that the coating us external.

I wouldn't be confused, if the user's guide states, only use a lint-free cloth, why ask something that's contrary to what apple already stated. Do you really want to take a chance on affecting the coating?

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Yes, you're both right, of course. I'm just so accustomed to using iKlean, it's hard for me to give it up, especially since I just bought two new bottles. :eek:

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
This is from Apple:

To clean iPhone, unplug all cables and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, then slide the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. If your iPhone has an oleophobic coating on the screen (iPhone 3G S only), simply wipe your iPhone’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC

iKlean does not contain alcohol or ammonia, so it has generally been considered safe for cleaning the iphone, but the Users Guide states that with the 3Gs which has an "oleophobic coating on the screen" only a lint-free cloth should be used. The former thread on iKlean implied that the oleophobic element was in, not on, the screen, so it would be safe to use iKlean, but the wording of the guide indicates that the coating is external.

The oleophobic coating is bonded to the glass and is outward facing so don't use these chemicals. Really a light wipe on a shirt will clean the 3gs.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
1st off it is iKlear not iKlean.
2nd nowhere does apple state that this new coating is bonded or infused or in the glass it is simply stated "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating".
Coating being the key word here.
iKlear is perfectly safe to use on the iPhone 3GS as it contains no harsh chemicals. Necessary? Probably not, but safe nonetheless.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Not knowing what iKlean is, I thought it's a name of an app that cleans iPhone data or something. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.