iKlean Again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Jun 26, 2009.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

I know that there was a previous thread about the use of iKlean, but I'm unable to find it, even with a search, so I apologize for starting another one.

iKlean does not contain alcohol or ammonia, so it has generally been considered safe for cleaning the iphone, but the Users Guide states that with the 3Gs which has an "oleophobic coating on the screen" only a lint-free cloth should be used. The former thread on iKlean implied that the oleophobic element was in, not on, the screen, so it would be safe to use iKlean, but the wording of the guide indicates that the coating is external.

Any thoughts on using iKlean for the 3Gs :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't be confused, if the user's guide states, only use a lint-free cloth, why ask something that's contrary to what apple already stated. Do you really want to take a chance on affecting the coating?

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

+1

And do you really need something more than a quick wipe?

4. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you're both right, of course. I'm just so accustomed to using iKlean, it's hard for me to give it up, especially since I just bought two new bottles. :eek:

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

This is from Apple:

6. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

The oleophobic coating is bonded to the glass and is outward facing so don't use these chemicals. Really a light wipe on a shirt will clean the 3gs.

7. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

1st off it is iKlear not iKlean.
    2nd nowhere does apple state that this new coating is bonded or infused or in the glass it is simply stated "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating".
    Coating being the key word here.
    iKlear is perfectly safe to use on the iPhone 3GS as it contains no harsh chemicals. Necessary? Probably not, but safe nonetheless.

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Not knowing what iKlean is, I thought it's a name of an app that cleans iPhone data or something. :p