ilfe on macbook air 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by reemas, Jul 29, 2012.

1. reemas macrumors member

does ilife come with the 2012 macbook air?

i just bought a macbook from amazon.com and it came with lion. i downloaded and installed mountain lion, but don't see iPhoto or iMovie.

i checked the app store but these programs don't show up. i thought ilife was a part of mountain lion on the 2012 macbook air. how do i install them?

2. Matthew Yohe, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You didn't erase Lion did you? You just updated your Mac right?

Open the "Purchased" pane in the Mac App Store.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

iLife is not part of Mountain Lion or Lion or Snow Leopard.

If you did a clean install, you lost iLife.

4. korbearus10 macrumors member

I thought it was tied to your Apple Account. I don't remember exactly, but I clean installed Lion on my SSD for MBP 13" and iLife was still there tied to my account.

Perhaps this thread from few days ago will help [link]

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It is, but simply doing a clean install of Lion or mountain Lion will not have iLife on it when completed. You have to re-download ilife separately.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

When you first sign on with your Apple ID after booting up the system, it activates the iLife apps on your App Store account. You can then download them at will on any Mac using that Apple ID.

I'm not sure how you managed to avoid this. I'd assume Apple made it foolproof somehow.

7. stchman macrumors 6502a

Funny, my 2012 MBA with Lion had iLife installed (iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band) when I first powered it on. I got my MBA from Best Buy.

8. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I agree. My 2012 Air already had the full iLife installed on it.

It sounds like he did a clean install, for some reason. That, or he bought a used MacBook.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

One would think, as I have a similar issue with the iLife apps. My 2011 MBA is a hand-me-down from my wife, I wiped the drive and re-installed Lion. I then set it up with my Apple ID and all is golden.

However, when I go to the MAS to try and buy the iLife apps (I'm not expecting, nor trying to get a free copy), the MAS won't let me buy them. It tells me that the apps were already set up on another Apple ID, in this case, my wife's, and it won't let me buy them. A few phone calls to Applecare have turned up nada and I haven't had a chance to get to an Apple Store as the nearest one is over an hour away.

My issue isn't dire but an annoying one to say the least.

10. stchman macrumors 6502a

Aren't all purchased apps in the store ready for a re-download?

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you buy an Mac with the OS installed, then iLife is of course included.

The question was about doing a clean install and then re-installing Mountain Lion or Lion and finding that iLife is gone.

buying the OS itself via retail does NOT include iLife - it is a separately priced product. A retail Snow Leopard disk does not include iLife.

people were known to decide to upgrade to Lion, decided on clean install, installed Lion, then found out there was no iLife there.

In the past iLife was included in the restore DVDs that went with the computer when it was sold.

Nowdays they have to do it differently via tha Apple tore.

12. Masterfox72 macrumors member

Why don't you login under your wife's Apple ID and download it from her apps?