iLID for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iPhanatic, Feb 22, 2013.

1. iPhanatic, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

iPhanatic macrumors member

I finally received my iLID for the 5 and overall it has a nice feel to it, better than the Stowaway I was using. The Stowaway though has better overall protection for the top and bottom of the phone. The iLID does feel a bit cheap for the $40 price tag.

My biggest issue is that I received the case defective right out of the box. The hinge has a big gap and in the long run, it doesn't look like it will stay secure. Customer service for the iLID company is horrendous. They don't reply to emails and rarely reply to FB post on their page. I posted on their FB page about the issue and they immediately deleted my comment and blocked me from posting on their page. I did it again with another account and they did the same thing. This is actually not the first time, I've seen them do it to other posters on FB for comments that are hardly derogatory but critical of their lack of communication or product issues.

I will never again purchase from this company and unless they respond to my emails and requests for an exchange, I would not recommend them to anyone. Here is the pic I sent them: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6yWgy_sDtBATjM1OTJFNHhOejg/edit?usp=sharing

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Guess they don't like people talking ill about their product, crappy or not.

Keep hammering them, they will help you out eventually.

3. xWarlocx macrumors newbie

never heard of iLid but good thing youre posting here. Hopefully they see this and do the right thing.

4. iPhanatic thread starter macrumors member

Yeah unfortunately they refuse to reply to emails yet they have been responding promptly to FB posts. They deleted my FB posts within minutes of posting yet they didn't reply to the email I sent them about the same time as my post.

So, I would not recommend this site to anyone until they get their act together:

http://www.ilidiphonewallet.com

They have had issues with customer service since day 1 of their Kickstarter project and I guess they haven't learned since then. I should have known better. Next step for me is contact my credit card company and post a review on Youtube

5. iLID macrumors newbie

iLID

UPDATE From the founder.

Hi everyone,

My name is Darren Inglis, I'm one of the co founders of iLID iPhone Wallet. I'm obviously new to the Mac rumor forums. So thank you for having me.

We were alerted to this thread from a few loyal customers that were concerned how we were being portrayed.

I must admit i was a bit shocked, we've come along way since our Kickstarter days and we're still very proud of what we have achieved but we still have much to learn and improve on.

We love feedback, it helps us know what we're doing wrong and allows us to improve to reward our loyal fan base with better products and a better experience.

Having seen Vern's comments we are speaking with Zendesk to improve our customer service across the board.

It appears that your lid was “baked” at too higher heat or for too long resulting in a warped effect. It appears to have affected only a small batch of units and is easily fixed.

We have taken this opportunity to focus our attentions on implementing additional quality control stations before product leaves the factory.

I set out to start this company because my wallet was too thick and bulky in my pockets. I did not start it to take people’s money and never look back.

We have always been more than happy to issue a replacement or a refund to dissatisfied customers.

If our iLID doesn’t fill you with joy and make your life better then i don’t want your money... period.

We did attempt to provide you with a full refund (even though it was never actually requested) but you had already launched a dispute with Paypal...

All we ask is that you please give our customer support team a chance to respond before saying hurtful things about my life’s work all around the internet.

Yours Sincerely,

Darren Inglis
    Founder
    www.iLIDiPhoneWallet.com
    twitter darrenJinglis

6. iPhanatic thread starter macrumors member

Hello Darren,

Thank you for the personal email I just received. I never intended this thread to be "hurtful" to you or your company but just an honest review of my experience thus far. To be honest, I was upset with how your administrators on Facebook has handled posts on your FB page as well as my account being banned from posting. MacRumors gives Apple enthusiasts a platform to share our experiences about products and I deemed it necessary to share my experience since I was not getting a response from your company. I am glad you will be addressing this concern and believe me, you coming on here will re-instill goodwill for your product and your company. Thank you for acknowledging the defect and I look forward to enjoying my iLid the way it was intended. I will update this post with a review as soon as it is received.

Just to let you know, I have been getting many compliments and inquiries whenever I'm at the checkout.

Vern

7. iPhanatic thread starter macrumors member

Just an update, no response from this company since the owner came here to post :(

8. MR Bulk macrumors regular

Hmmm, I was kinda thinking that. It is always suspect to have a company finally respond after you make it public (on a site they cannot control) how flakey they are.

And now no further help from them only confirms these suspicions.

I was looking hard at the iLid (if you look at my posts you will see I am a mad collector of all manner of iPhone wallet cases!) but after seeing this thread I am no longer interested. Unfortunately after the first owner's response post they may have sold a few more cases to unsuspecting victims, too bad.

Small start-up company that likely has no money to make good on their promises of refunds or customer service. Oh well.

9. mdben macrumors newbie

As an early adopter of the original iLID from back in its kickstarter days I was thrilled to see that the iPhone5 is now supported. I loved my original iLID and have missed it since upgrading to the iPhone5. When I went to order one today from their website, I had to navigate a maze of gimmicky and annoying upgrade options that quickly added up to over $90. But by that point in the order process there was no option to cancel or change any of the order options. Using the back buttons in Safari repeatedly took me back to the pre-confirmation order review page. The only way to avoid completing the order was to close Safari and clear the cache. After doing that and going through the ordering process again without any of the upgrade options, I then noticed that despite ordering just a single black iPhone5 iLID, S&H was $15.90 instead of the $7.95 stated on their webpage. I called their customer service number and was flatly informed that you cannot buy just one iLID and will automatically be charged the additional S&H for the second one.

At this point I was feeling frustrated with the process and decided to grab lunch while I thought about whether or not I wanted to place the order or not. Suddenly while eating lunch I received TWO emails, each with a unique order ID, confirming two separate iLID orders that I NEVER SUBMITTED!

My attempt to resolve this with their customer service department was even more frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful. I was originally assisted by a rude woman with lots of attitude named Tanteleigh who said there was nothing she could do. When I expressed my concern about their system processing orders that had not been submitted, she abruptly put me on hold and eventually transferred me to a woman name Glo who more politely said she had no control over their system. She further stated there was no one else who could help and told me I would have to wait 24-48 hours for the orders to complete processing before they could cancel the order and issue a refund. She told me to check customerstatus.com for updates on the orders but stated that the orders may ship before they would be able to cancel them which would require that I send them back AT MY EXPENSE before they could refund me.

I am truly disappointed in the fate iLID has met. It was a solid and well-designed product that never needed any of the gimmicky as-seen-on-tv garbage that has only cheapened it, imho. That combined with the shady online order processing system and poor customer service make it a product not worth spending my hard earned money on. Hopefully Darren will revisit this thread and consider making some changes to redeem what used to be a great iPhone case.

10. MR Bulk macrumors regular

Depending how you paid (credit card, Paypal, etc.) you could very likely cancel payment. But maybe that's why they told you to wait 24-48 hours? I know with Paypal some vendors have closed their accts and zero'd out their bank acct. that was linked to their Paypal, and there was no way for the buyers to recover their funds.

Not saying iLid is doing this, they probably have too large of a transaction volume, but just relating a personal experience someone that I knew once had with an ebay seller.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Looks like a cheap as seen on TV product. Any website that auto-plays an ad video on loading is automatically dead to me.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Agreed, but that doesn't mean people won't buy it. People with poor taste and that isn't arguable.

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I know, it always baffles me to see the nasty looking cases and covers people put on their iProducts, LOL

14. iPhanatic thread starter macrumors member

Final update

Well after my dispute with my credit card company, I did finally receive my $40 back. In terms of the product itself, the money clip failed next and just a few days ago, the hinge failed. Neither the owner nor customer service ever got back to me except for when the owner got on here. If you check out their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/iLIDphonecase?fref=ts), you'll see similar complaints and lack of customer service, even after the company claimed they changed their customer service system.

15. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting your experience. I, too, tend to accumulate iphone cases and this thread was enough to convince me never to do business with them ever.

I have no hope that they'll ever fix the customer service. The owner's lip service and apparent hypocrisy really speak of the culture and character of a business. It seems they're folks only interested in making a few fast bucks. Mine won't be one of them.

16. rgctx macrumors regular

IMO kind of a dumb case, say you get your phone snatched out of your hand, there goes your cash, there goes your id, there goes your credit card, there goes your house key.

You SOL then....:D

17. CLH-TO macrumors newbie

Very Upset with iLid / WonderCase

So I was looking to order this back in April 15 and started to enter my info to order it however since I am in Canada it would not ship here. So used a family members address in California. Well when it came time to pay it would not process my order - so I tried to exit the page and it kept reloading the page. Finally I just gave up and had to quit the web browser. Ok so I figure this was not a good on-line experience. So a little more research and started to hear negative news, I decided to go for a different option.

Then a few days later I get an email telling me that my orders yes orders are being processed. Apparently I had purchased 6 units on two different orders What? So I call their customer service and after their auto answer machine put me on hold for a few minute then hung up on the third try I was able to get through to someone. They check for my order and told me that it would take 24-48 hours to show up. So I called 24 hours later and still no order - then 48 hours and still no order - I even called about 5 days later and no order and no charge on my credit card.

Perfect - I then found another case that I am very happy with VaultSkin from the UK. Order it and had it in about 4 day.

So fast forward to May 25 and I get an email telling me my orders have shipped and i then see two charges on my credit card online $79.99 & $40. Wait a minute. So I check their online customer order status - http://customerstatus.com - but all it says is that the site is being upgraded. Call customer service and I am told sorry I ordered these if I want a refund I have to send them back!

Time to call the credit card about an un-authorized charge.

Its not even the same company name anymore!