Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I bought iLife 05 mostly for the iPhoto, but after i bought it I see it does not support some photo editing on G3's which is one of the new features i hoped for most of all. Says a G4 or G5 is required(no MHz specified)? My iBook is only a year and a half old and i already can't use features in a basic amateur program?!?! I'd understand if it were a slow G3 with a 8 or 16MB Vram! But this is a 900MHz processor with 32 mbs Vram! Is this to say a 400MHz G4 can do these editing processes and mine can't??? I don't think so.... :mad:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You're right, it's really not good enough on Apple's behalf. Strictly speaking, they shouldn't have kept the G3 in production as long as they did anyway.

It should still work though, right?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

Hence the importance of reading the system requirements carefully...
I am not surprised the latest, greatest will not work on such an old processor though...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
One Word: AltiVec

Sorry to hear about that, but the AltiVec does make a bit difference for photo and video work. (Read: Days vs. minutes kinda difference)

And isn't it your responsibility to check the minimum requirements? I know that you are mad, but double-checking just to make sure that it would work sounds like a good thing to do.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
One Word: AltiVec

And isn't it your responsibility to check the minimum requirements?

I understand Alti Vec would make the difference but how much of a difference does it make when comparing a 400-500 MHz G4 to a 800-900Mhz G3 doubt days vs minutes.....

I can do advanced editing way beyond that of iPhoto in Photo shop on my ibook... its obviously not a hardware issue... its either poor prgramming on Apple's part or a deliberate exemption of support to accelerate people to upgrade.

I could of checked the requirments once more but i saw 400Mhz Minimum
But thats besides the point.. wether i found out after the fact doesn't change the point.

its iLife not proLife...

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
It isn't that old age processor though, well it sorta is, but apple had them in ibooks untill like september or october two years ago. Thats just rediculous that they aren't supporting the processor anymore. I think that is the purpose of the law suits.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
appleretailguy said:
Hence the importance of reading the system requirements carefully...
I am not surprised the latest, greatest will not work on such an old processor though...

so why does graphics converter offer all those editing options that work on my ibook but the ones in iPhoto don't?

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
It's this planned obsolesce crap these days. I'm sure it was intentional- you can run PS fine but iPhoto somehow has higher hardware demands? Puh-lease.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
john1123 said:
so why does graphics converter offer all those editing options that work on my ibook but the ones in iPhoto don't?

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book to get you to upgrade. Of course Apple (a hardware AND software company) is going to try to make you buy new Macs to run their latest apps! It sucks, but it's business. :(

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
mad jew said:
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book to get you to upgrade. Of course Apple (a hardware AND software company) is going to try to make you buy new Macs to run their latest apps! It sucks, but it's business. :(

It leaves such a bitter taste in ones mouth.. what made me suspicious is G4 or G5 required not even a minium speed of G4 ...... just G4...

From what I gather G3's and G4's are identical except for the altivec. which doesn't make the G4 more capable at certain things just accelerates them. Even certain Xbench comparisons show faster G3's accomplishingthe smae or more in this regard

so How does the slowest G4 compare to the fastest G3 in this regard..

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
MXDT said:
I understand Alti Vec would make the difference but how much of a difference does it make when comparing a 400-500 MHz G4 to a 800-900Mhz G3 doubt days vs minutes.....

Because vectorised code can run much, much, much faster.
I'm not disagreeing with your argument, just this point :)

AppleMatt

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
MXDT said:
I bought iLife 05 mostly for the iPhoto, but after i bought it I see it does not support some photo editing on G3's which is one of the new features i hoped for most of all. Says a G4 or G5 is required(no MHz specified)? My iBook is only a year and a half old and i already can't use features in a basic amateur program?!?! I'd understand if it were a slow G3 with a 8 or 16MB Vram! But this is a 900MHz processor with 32 mbs Vram! Is this to say a 400MHz G4 can do these editing processes and mine can't??? I don't think so.... :mad:

Just get Photoshop elements and configure iPhoto to use that as the editor. It will be slow but better than nothing

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I just want to make sure I have it clear... you bought software for certain features, software which has the system requirements clearly listed on the side of the box (and which your machine does not match), realized after your purchase that your system does not support these features, and that is Apple's fault?

Now, are you upset that you screwed up, or that your machine doesn't support current software?

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Passante said:
Just get Photoshop elements and configure iPhoto to use that as the editor. It will be slow but better than nothing

yes but that kind of defeats the use of the new iPhoto... damn I should have saved the $80 :(

but then again, maybe i should have looked at the system requirements :rolleyes:

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
James L said:
I just want to make sure I have it clear... you bought software for certain features, software which has the system requirements clearly listed on the side of the box (and which your machine does not match), realized after your purchase that your system does not support these features, and that is Apple's fault?

Now, are you upset that you screwed up, or that your machine doesn't support current software?

No, you didn't get it clear... as I've mentioned, the fact I realized it after the fact has nothing to do with the point being made here by me and a few others. Maybe you skipped a few of the posts in between and din't get the gist of whats going on.

Wether I realized the requirments before i bought it or after means nothing.
and should not be used to DISMISS the point being made.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jestershinra said:
It's this planned obsolesce crap these days. I'm sure it was intentional- you can run PS fine but iPhoto somehow has higher hardware demands? Puh-lease.

But at the same point people would scream bloody murder if the price of iBooks and Powerbooks and the such kept going up. You can't have it both ways. iLife is meant as a vehicle to drive customers to Apples newer hardware. Sorry if you are just now realizing that.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
mad jew said:
Just to clear something up...
Does iPhoto (and all of its features) work albeit incredibly slowly or does it completely refuse to install?

no no all is well and very very fast. A frien with a 867Mhz Pbook can't notice the difference with the app launching and photos thumbnails and photos comming up. Both of us with similar library sizes (I'm not saying the editing won't take advantage of the Altivec in his PBook ) Just mentioning this to give an idea of how fast and normal the entire app runs.

Just most of the editing options are exempt from mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.