Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
iGary said:
Only the iWork update showed for me. :(
Strange, I went to open iWeb to try out Mac Fly's problem and it immediately told me of an update available.

Software Update is also showing all updates available. :confused:

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Wow, that's alot of bandwidth to burn on the Apple update servers for a feature that so few people will use.

Maybe this means the price is coming down to iWork territory? That'd be sweet.

musicus

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2004
UK
Philsy said:
Calenders look nice, but they link to an order page with US dollars on. :mad:
That's strange; the link in iPhoto correctly takes me to a page with GBP. Perhaps it's picking up info from my Apple ID/.Mac account (in System Preferences).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
musicus said:
That's strange; the link in iPhoto correctly takes me to a page with GBP. Perhaps it's picking up info from my Apple ID/.Mac account (in System Preferences).
If your browser is set to remember your location, (perhaps from last visit to the Apple Store), it should display the correct currency.

mitchec

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
Since updating the packages I cannot get any of the iLife to work.
iPhoto loads up but as soon as I try to modify any of the images it stops responding then shuts down.
Garageband wont even load up
iDVD and iMovie both show the initial window for creating a new project etc. but quit when you select anything.
iWeb appears to run but as I dont use it I can't tell wether its working or not.

I have repaired disk permissions and rebooted but thas had no effect.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Peel said:
Are your apps located in the default location? The iLife apps need to be in the top level of the Applications folder, and the iWork apps need to be in a folder called iWork '06 in the Applications folder. Any changes to that and Software Update can't find them, so assumes you don't have them installed.

Thanks for the tip. This is a pain for us old NeXT types who like to keep a separate "LocalApps" folder for all 3rd party apps distinct from the "Applications" folder.

I think that "LocalApps" lived on through the OS X betas ...

Regardless, it's not smart that the updater can't find the application if it's not in the default location. Even the Microsoft Office X updater can find my applications in another folder.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Applespider said:
Spotted this 10 minutes or so ago when doing iTunes.

There are now Halloween, Christmas, Hanukkah cards in iPhoto... but nothing else is jumping out...

No Ramadan cards? That's outrageous!

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
iDVD failure

WTF!!!!
After updating, when I launch iDVD it tells me I "do not have a supported SuperDrive. You will not be able to burn any DVDs".

There goes what, 4 happy months with my MacBook?

dakscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
can't tell if this is a new problem with imovie or not...but now everytime I try to adjust the photo settings of an exisiting picture on the timeline, it just shows the settings for a black image...nothing. I can only add NEW clips. All I need now is time machine to take me back to yesterday. :(

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
iWork (specifically Pages)

Has anyone actually used Pages extensively? I'm growing VERY tired of all the stupid MS (<-- sorry for the dirty word) Office bugs, but don't know how I feel about switching completely over to iWork.

I've read the website rundown of iWord, but the word coming from actual users is more valuable. Can Pages open and edit Word .doc and Excel spreadsheet files without issues? I've already moved away from Entourage (years ago) and it might be time to cut ties with (see dirty word) completely.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
clintob said:
Has anyone actually used Pages extensively? I'm growing VERY tired of all the stupid MS (<-- sorry for the dirty word) Office bugs, but don't know how I feel about switching completely over to iWork.

I've read the website rundown of iWord, but the word coming from actual users is more valuable. Can Pages open and edit Word .doc and Excel spreadsheet files without issues? I've already moved away from Entourage (years ago) and it might be time to cut ties with (see dirty word) completely.

I couldn't agree more.

I hope Apple has a huge, MSOffice killer release with iWork 07.

Apple doesn't have to market iWork that way so they can keep MS happy and supporting the Mac platform, but they should make the apps killer.

Keynote is almost perfect with a few more features and some more speed. Pages is missing about 20 key features, needs tons and tons of speed, and some serious tweaks to the UI and it will be a word killer.

And a spreadsheet is interesting to me. At first, I had no interest in this since I think excel is an excellent product. But after thinking about the cludgy UI, I think Apple can re-think the spreadsheet, as they did the word processor, and make it easier to create beautiful documents.

I just hope Apple gets it. iWork should not be some Appleworks ambitions.

Instead, Apple should be building the Office killer. Do for our professional life--bring creativity tools to the masses--that iLife did for our personal lives.

Apple can do it. It's just a matter of Apple has the courage.

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
Instead, Apple should be building the Office killer. Do for our professional life--bring creativity tools to the masses--that iLife did for our personal lives.

Apple can do it. It's just a matter of Apple has the courage.

agreed. I really can't wait until I can cut all the ties from Microsoft. I need spreadsheets for organising my finance etc..

Apple could make something beautiful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.