Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
has given me NOTHING but problems.....there is not one good thing i can say about it

iphoto 6 completely messed up my library causing me a huge headache
iwed REQUIRES you to have a webpage if yuo have .mac.......yuo cant not have you....only way to get rid of a site is to publish something over it....thats so dumb

havent used idvd or imovie yet, but i have low expectations for them

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
oh yeah

photocasting gives me errors just randomly for no particular reason, and it only works with safari.....so they lied that itll work on any rss compatible browser

garbage

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
no you can delete PAGES

not the site itself

look at the help section of ilife, and search for delete, it syas yuo cannot delete it.....only publish over

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
No problems for me, everything is running just fine. iPhoto is quicker and cooler, I might even be tempted to use iMovie now with those animated themes - just have to get me a good quality digital movie camera. GarageBand remains for me a fun little distraction and I left iDVD off the install list as I don't have a DVD burner.

Haven't really checked out iWeb yet.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
derajfast said:
no you can delete PAGES

not the site itself

look at the help section of ilife, and search for delete, it syas yuo cannot delete it.....only publish over

i was able to delete a site. no problems with it. maybe its because it was my second site though.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I was thinking of getting iLife '06 only for iWeb. I don't have a .Mac account. Is that a requirement? I use Dreamweaver now, but it would be nice to have iWeb for simplicity and fun.

If I have to have .Mac then I guess my question is answered.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dr427 said:
I was thinking of getting iLife '06 only for iWeb. I don't have a .Mac account. Is that a requirement? I use Dreamweaver now, but it would be nice to have iWeb for simplicity and fun.

If I have to have .Mac then I guess my question is answered.

no .Mac is not required. you can publish to a folder and FTP it to your own hosting site, etc.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I feel like this is a total noob question, but here goes - how can I publish an iWeb site but have the site URL be different than the default assigned by iWeb? As in, I would like to assign my own "whatever.com" to an iWeb page, like it seems the two above posters did. Thanks.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
kwajaln said:
I feel like this is a total noob question, but here goes - how can I publish an iWeb site but have the site URL be different than the default assigned by iWeb? As in, I would like to assign my own "whatever.com" to an iWeb page, like it seems the two above posters did. Thanks.

well do you have your own domain and a place to host the site? that is needed first.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
kwajaln said:

I would like to know the same thing as well. I do have my own domain name registered and I have a .Mac account as well.

By the way I've used all of iLife '06, except for iWeb, and it works better than any previous version. I created a movie from some stills taken on a recent holiday.

Tigger7

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2005
Indiana
dr427 said:
Cool, so the site in your sig was made with iWeb?

LOL, 100% iWeb with an add on from another forum to replace the slideshow with a cleaner look! I am sure we can do more with iWeb, its just a matter of getting more templates (I'd love a blank one myself).

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Thanks for the replies, but please help me a little further. I googled for some info on registering a domain name so I can accomplish this, and there are a LOT of choices out there. Can someone give me tips, advice, suggestions on how I should go about this or what sites are best (GoDaddy, ipower, domain.com, etc). I have never done it before. Thanks!

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
"Hosting is a term used to describe the service offered by hosting companies. A hosting company is the company that owns the server computers that your web pages are stored on."
So if I am going to publish from iWeb, should I need hosting, or just the domain name for forwarding/masking?
Thanks.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
You have to pay for hosting for someone to store your pictures, files, etc.

If you buy the name the company generally puts up a temporary page like "Coming soon" until you get hosting.

.Mac is hosting, but I didn't find it very reasonable in terms of cost. Heck, most ISP's give you XXX amount of free hosting with your monthly service too. Then you could just redirect your newly purchased name to what ever your hosting link is. Or mask it so that it always shows your purchased name.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
dr427 said:
You have to pay for hosting for someone to store your pictures, files, etc.

If you buy the name the company generally puts up a temporary page like "Coming soon" until you get hosting.

.Mac is hosting, but I didn't find it very reasonable in terms of cost. Heck, most ISP's give you XXX amount of free hosting with your monthly service too. Then you could just redirect your newly purchased name to what ever your hosting link is. Or mask it so that it always shows your purchased name.
Thank you very much. That definitely helps me getting started. Let me get an opinion on this - I am going to publish through iWeb and want to use domain forwarding/masking for a better name. Can I accomplish this just registering a name through iPower, Catalog, GoDaddy, etc, or would I need to pay for hosting as well. Sorry, I am very new to this aspect of the internet.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
Anytime you want to actually "put" something on the net you have to have hosting.

Think of it this way. Think in terms of busines. You have a great product to sell. You can have a company name and register it with the State, but if you want to sell stuff you gotta have a store. So hosting is the "store" you need to put whatever iWeb creation you make up out onto the internet.

So if you just buy a name for $7.99 that is all you are doing. Buying the rights to the name. You won't be able to upload your iWeb site until you get hosting to go with the name.

If you buy the name and host it on the same site they will make it all click. If you buy the name from say Godaddy.com and then Catalog.com for hosting you will need to log into Godaddy.com and change the domain server to whatever Catalog.com says to. That way when someone types in your webname it will go to the proper channel.

Once all that is done then somewhere inside iWeb you will setup the FTP settings to upload the files to the "host".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.