iLife '08: a la Carte?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roland.g, Jul 7, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Has anyone ever heard of getting any of the parts of iLife from Apple in a la carte items.

I have a 12" PowerBook that I recently wiped and installed Leopard on. It now has iTunes and Quicktime of course and being a combo drive it has no need for iDVD. I plan on giving it to my mom along with my standalone iSight so that she can use iChat to webcam with us and see her grandson.

My problem is that I would like to upgrade her to iPhoto 08 and iMovie 06 (the download doesn't work without iMovie 08 being installed first). She probably only needs iPhoto and not even iMovie. And she has no use at all for iWeb or Garageband. It seems quite silly to spend $79 on iPhoto for a 2003 PowerBook.

Do I have any options?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

$79 is hardly going to break the bank is it?
    No, you can't buy apps separately

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't just buy one or some. You have to get it all.

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

$79 break the bank, no. $79 for iPhoto, no thanks. I'd buy a copy for myself but iLife '08 came on my iMac last year, yet understandably so I can't install the bundled apps on the PowerBook.

Maybe I'll Amazon or eBay it. It just isn't worth it at that price.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Do you have the original install disks for the powerbook? Can't you install whatever version of iLife it came with?

6. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

2003 PowerBook. It believe it had iPhoto 2 on there. I'm sure I could find a copy of iLife '05 or possibly iLife '06 for free or next to nothing. I was hoping to get a current version of iPhoto. Anything newer than 2.0 would be better than that.