Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Been wondering for a wile why there is no new iLife and iWork and it came to me it may be to make them 64bit.
Now for some things like pages and keynote this may be pointless but for iPhoto it would be able to make quick work of loads of high res photos, iMovie and iDVD sould also see some tangable benifit and it would be a nice slap on the face to Vista 64bit that has not many 64bit apps.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What possible advantage would there be? Do you regularly create iWork documents that are more than 4Gb in size? Thought not.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
What possible advantage would there be? Do you regularly create iWork documents that are more than 4Gb in size? Thought not.
as i said in my message the main benifits would be to iLife apps such as iMovie, iDvd, and iPhoto that regulary deal with large files.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
as i said in my message the main benifits would be to iLife apps such as iMovie, iDvd, and iPhoto that regulary deal with large files.

iPhoto never deals with particularly large files. Pictures take in RAW mode on my DSLR are only around 10Mb in size. iDvd and iMovie might see some benefit.

Edit to add: and then of course it would only make and difference if you had more than 4Gb of physical RAM. In which case you are probably better off with Pro software.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
iPhoto never deals with particularly large files. Pictures take in RAW mode on my DSLR are only around 10Mb in size. iDvd and iMovie might see some benefit.

Edit to add: and then of course it would only make and difference if you had more than 4Gb of physical RAM. In which case you are probably better off with Pro software.

In Windows 64bit applications start to really fly once 2 GB of ram is in the system, this is noticed by many including myself even with games such as 64 Bit Halflife 2 running a little faster and having much faster loading times.
Once 64 bit is enabled on the application its not just the memory benefits its also the extra registers AMD added to the X86-64 instruction set when they made it, some applications run a lot faster some run a little slower(<4%).
Intel EMT 64T is basically a backwards engineered AMD x86-64 instruction set and is said to benefit in the same way when 64bit is enabled without the need for major amounts of ram.
Making iLife 08 64 bit is a no brainer as it will ether do nothing negative or greatly increase the speed of the program, and for Apple it could be as simple as clicking another button the same as they do for universal binaries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.