iLife '08 on a PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Squonk, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Have any PowerBook G4 users taken the plunge with iLife08 yet? I have a 1.25GHz with 1.25GB of RAM and I'm wondering if getting the update will slow me down from a performance perspective? Right now, when I select some photo's and say that I want an iWeb page, my machine just grinds away for a long time. I have a fast hard drive installed (Seagate 5400rpm 160GB perpendicular) and I see that I'm paging out (need more RAM).

I'm reluctant to upgrade if the new programs are going to perform slower. I use iPhoto and iWeb only.

Yeah, I know I should bump up to 2GB of RAM as that would help me out right now.

I'm also planning on buying an MBP in Dec or Jan, so I'm not sure that I want to put any more $$$ into the PowerBook. I might get some of it back when I sell it.

Thanks for your insight. huh huh :D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't bother upgrading to iLife 08 if you'll get it free in December... :)

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, I've heard its not all that great

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, it's quite an upgrade from '06, and I really enjoy it.

5. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

I hear you on that, but the Web Gallery option looks really cool and would help me get my backlog (a year) of photo's on the web now. Yes, 50% of that is due to procrastination. I'm willing to spend the $75.00 to use the new features now and for the next 4-5 months. I'll probably wait until January to see what MWSF might bring to the MBP's....

But what I really want to know is how will this perform on a slower G4. Anyone?

6. sananda macrumors 68020

iweb 08 and iphoto 08 are no slower on my ibook G4 (512) than the previous versions. but then again i wasn't experiencing any of the grinding away or any slowness before at all.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've got the same model with the same RAM and iPhoto is quicker now.

Haven't tried sending things to iWeb yet.