Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Planning to buy me a new Mac Mini, I wanted to know whether or not it is legal to uninstall iLife '08 on the new machine and install it on my MBP instead. Or is it bundled to use with the Mac I purchased?

hmp

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Planning to buy me a new Mac Mini, I wanted to know whether or not it is legal to uninstall iLife '08 on the new machine and install it on my MBP instead. Or is it bundled to use with the Mac I purchased?

Every time that I have purchased a new Mac, iLife has come bundled on the Restore DVD. In other words, it is not possible to reinstall (or in this case, install on another computer) iLife without using the Restore DVD. The Mac mini restore dvd probably won't work in the MBP (or will it?), so I would say that, legalities aside, it's not possible.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I've done this, but the disk I used may have been a pack in upgrade disc not the restore disk. Can't remember... should work either way, even if you have to use one of those 3rd party package installers to do it.

As far as legality goes, you'll be in a grey area that depends on the exact terms of the EULA. Morally, though, you'll be pretty OK assuming you are the only user of both machines. Some EULAs indicate the software is licensed to ONE PERSON on whatever computer they use, some say one machine, no matter how many users are on it. I don't know what Apple's say. Probably one machine, since they tout the multi user features of OSX.

Hope that helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.