iLife 08 stinks!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffpitman, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jeffpitman macrumors newbie

Ok, first, the new iMovie is riddled with library problems. It crashed when I imported clips from an iMovie HD project, the very first thing I tried to do. Then it would not start back up. I checked out support forums at Apple and they are full of people having the same problems. The people who are not having import problems are complaining about the lack of timeline manipulation capabilities (I need those to do what I do) and the inability to establish iDVD chapters. Those seem like basic features to me.

iPhoto...Events?? Seriously, that is all we get?? I need the ability to have multiple libraries. I do not want the photos I throw on the mac to create a video or slideshow for someone else to be mixed up with my kids pictures. That is the feature I have been waiting for. I guess I will keep using iPhoto Library Manager (a 3rd party app) for the time being.

Moving on, iDVD...we get a couple new themes but all the older themes are deleted until you try to use one and then all will be re-installed off the iLife DVD or downloaded. Why not just leave all the themes there? Ok, how about the fact that iDVD 06 lacked the ability to burn a good DVD. I was hoping for that fix. I have also lost the ability to pull videos directly from iMovie HD since there is a new iMovie. Nope, nothing great here.

Garageband...the magic thing is pretty cool, not much of an upgrade, but a nice feature.

This leaves iWeb. No place to go here except up. The old version was totally useless unless you had .mac. This new one at least has an option to export to a folder, but it does not save anything there and when it tries to open the site you define in the export, it seems to open whatever it wants.

A complete loss, almost nothing good to speak of. What happened?? Am I missing something?

The new keyboard is cool, but why did they move the shortcut keys?? I guess it was so the wireless version would have the same layout, but its still hard to get use to. Volume and eject were very nice in the upper right corner, now they are in the middle and I need to look to hit the right key.

Jeff Pitman

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm sure that pretty much all of these points have already be talked about lots around here already.

Hold down option when you open the program, has been in there for years.

The old iWeb had this function for ages

Had no problems with the previous version of iDVD, you could always burn to a disk image and get toast to burn it if you really need.

So in short you are missing lots of things and downlod iMovie HD again.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Nothing.

Yes. See post #2.

4. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

One thing that also is lame is that you can't go into your iPhoto library via the Finder. You have to export the photos first.

Lame.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well if you really want control+click "show package contents".

6. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I hate you. lol

Thank you VERY much. Saves me a lot of time/madness. :)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Alright:), although don't blame me if you mess anything up while you are in there:D

8. 66217 Guest

You can tell iPhoto to leave your photos where they are.

To the OP, what do you think of iDVD?

I am hoping Apple includes a good program to buy DVDs in the next FCE update, since I find iDVD quite bad. And I was hoping they improved iDVD, but it seems it is almost the same.

Maybe they could put a lighter version of DVD Studio Pro in the next version of FCE

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Most of your points have been addressed already, but I wanted to point out that DVD Studio Pro wasn't updated at all in the last update to Final Cut Studio, and Steve Jobs made a comment when introducing the new iDVD that leads me to believe that Apple doesn't consider DVD to be particularly important much longer. I think we'll see Blu-Ray authoring tools along with even better support for web delivery of videos soon.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

pardon my ignorance (have never used DVD studio pro or any blu-ray disks) but couldn't it just be updated to allow for Blu ray authoring. Is there anything different to the way a dvd is viewed and navigated to the way blu-rays are.

11. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

Get final cut pro...

12. mark476p macrumors newbie

I have all my iDVD themes installed. You have to do a custom installation, basic installation skips iDVD themes 1-4.

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Oh sure, I think they'll essentially just update both programs to include Blu-Ray support (perhaps with a name change). I just mean that it seems like Apple isn't really working hard on improving DVD SP and iDVD in the DVD authoring area, probably because they're working on Blu-Ray support, which won't be done for a while.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Ok cool, thought i'd missed something big in regards to blu-ray

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You can just click and drag them to the desktop, you don't even have to "export" - it just makes a copy instantly.

I don't get why people are so uptight about pictures being in iPhoto as opposed to in a Finder window. If you really hate iPhoto so much you can stop using it and use Image Capture for camera imports instead, which is in your Applications folder.