iLife 08 to iLife09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frant, Jan 27, 2009.

1. frant macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm a new user after being a PC user since they came out. Unfortunately, I bought my 2 laptops one week before they allow me to upgrade at a much lower price - so it's a little upsetting - or I would have waiting until 1/6/09.....DOH.....

I understand that the icon holds the program in most cases when installing (drag the icon to applications - and delete anything else on the desktop). Since I have a ton of pictures in iphotos in 08 - Will 09 just be written over 08 or will I have to uninstall 08. I get different answers. I am new and all of this new language and new way of doing things can be a little overwhelming. Yes, I have gone to the PC to MAC site.... but there's a whole lot they leave out. I'm a real 'organizer' with files and folders - especially with pictures - don't quite understand it all except that ALL pictures are kept in the library.

From what I gather, 09 WILL REPLACE 08 - therefore you cannot have 2 versions. Will I have to worry about my photos? After I sell my PC desktop, I will be hooking up the time capsule - but right not time machine is not turned on.

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Nothing to worry about. Just install the new software and everything will be fine. You dont have to worry about all the organizing stuff like you had to with Windows. The software does it all for you. But as is the case with ANY computer operating system, it is a good idea to have a backup of your important stuff before installing any new software or making any big changes. But really, just install it and go.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

You will be fine. Even if you delete iPhoto altogether, it won't delete your photos. Your applications are stored in ~/Applications and your photos are stored in ~/Photos/iPhoto Library. So the location of your photos are different than the location of the program.

However, since you are wisely worried about losing photos, you should buy an external drive to use Time Machine with. This will keep everything backed up nicely in case anything unfortunate were to happen.